Where can I buy an Accurate Uric Acid Monitor?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! Where can I buy an Accurate Uric Acid Monitor?

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 3 days, 1 hour ago.

• Author

O’Herlihy Pat
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1.30
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

I have had my first attack of gout and am very anxious to reduce my uric acid level without medication. Can anyone recommend an accurate home monitoring meter. The one I have does not seem to give accurate readings. Cost is not the issue but if it can be purchased in the UK that would be best. I will get one from the USA if necessary

Thank you Pat

Gout Patient
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 0.76

I have read information on this website about uric acid meters and understand the pros and cons. I definitely want to get one to help ensure that I am taking the correct dose of allopurinol. I don’t want to wait 6 months to go back to my doc only to find out that “gee, we really should up your dose” or whatever. Once stabilized, I doubt I will need it often, but for now, starting allopurinol in the last couple months, I think it is important to verify the results and correctly adjust the dose if necessary. I live in the United States, and there does not seem to be many available here. I see one type on Amazon with relatively poor ratings and many complaints of inaccuracy. I see a couple types on Ebay and I have no idea if they are good or bad. I see one place advertising in Florida, but they have conflicting info on the website, and don’t tell you the brand. I call the 800 “support” number and get nothing but ads and no support, so it appears to be a bogus support line. Therefore, I do not trust that website. I don’t mind paying for a good meter and test strips, but I would like to know I am getting “the real thing” and something that actually works if used correctly. I would appreciate anyone else with experience using these to let me know if they have had good results, if they can recommend a good one (or a bad one to avoid for that matter). I realize the best thing would be to go to the doc every month or so, and have a lot of blood work done for kidneys, liver, uric acid, etc., but the doc says come back in 6 months. Plus each time I go it costs me hundreds of dollars so if I can get a reliable meter I can check at home and only go to the doc at 6 month intervals. Thanks.

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster
      Ŧallars: Ŧ 870.15
      GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

I’m really sorry Robert, I completely missed your post last year. I’ve just spotted it while tidying. So, I moved it here.

I completely agree with your points about customer service. To me, it is the most important part of buying a uric acid tester. Because, without good customer support, you are probably wasting your money.

Anyway, if you still want to buy a meter, let me know. I can recommend a source who supplies to the USA, and has good customer support.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Hi Pat,
    Issues with uric acid meters are mostly due to the way they are used. But,quality may be a problem with some test kits.
    I recommend the uasure meter. Mostly because they have excellent technical support. Or they did when I used mine. In fact, I’m happy to let you have my meter for nothing, if you pay the postage. Or, I’m more than happy to meet you. I’m in Yorkshire. Where are you?

I’m not convinced that having your own meter is the best way to go. My first question is: what part does the meter play in your treatment plan?
    My second question is: what is your step-by-step testing routine? ‘Prick and hope’ will not work on any brand of uric acid monitor.

Mcypkin

Uric Acid Testing Kit

Would like to know which uric acid testing kit is best. I saw you mentioned two somewhere on your website the other day, but now can’t find it.

Thank you.

Robert Brazee

Utica acid test kit

Is there any Uric acid test kits that are made in the USA?

If so which ones are your favorites?

Steve Krause
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 5.14
    GoutPal Detective Badge Rank: Detective

Yes, I am also thinking about buying a uric acid meter.

First posting on this forum:
    I am in my sixties. I have had gout attacks over the last five years. About 3 or 4 a year. They go away as quickly as they come on when I take Cholcisine and Ibuprofen as soon as feel the attack.
    I also have had kidney stones and bladder stones. Recently had a procedure to blast apart the huge bladder stone that grew in my bladder. The stones are mostly from uric acid.
    I also have had psoriasis for many years. One of my doctors has told me that excess skin production, which is what is happening with psoriasis, raises the uric acid levels.
    Recently badly sprained my foot and it triggered a gout attack in that foot. Then accommodating the boot and limping I was doing caused problems in the other foot. Some swelling like gout and maybe just muscle and tendon/ligament problems. Saw a rheumatoligist that suggested it might also be psoriatic arthritis, since he could see some minor bone joint problems in the foot x-rays.
    I am considering whether to take medication for psoriatic arthritis and also take medication for gout. Tried Allopurinol a year ago. Found from a follouwup lab test about 6 weeks into it that the uric acid was lowering but had to stop because the lab test showed kidneys were not working as well, but maybe that was because I was taking ibuprofen often at the same time.
    I am considering trying it again but would like to see what I can do with diet change and see if I can lower the uric acid level without it.

Regarding diet change: I’ve never been much of a beer drinker so that was easy to stop. I do like one or two ozs of vodka, gin or tequila on a friday night. Not much wine. Dropped the shell fish, I eat red meat once or twice a week but not large amounts, usually. The one thing that I think I’ve noticed that does trigger gout sometimes is Vietnamese soups. Maybe it’s the broth. But even that doesn’t always cause an attack, but it does sometimes. I am drinking lots of green vegs and trying to drink at least half as much water as I know I should, for both gout and kidney stones, and general health.

Regarding a blood level monitor: are there any comparison tests out there as to which monitors are more accurate? Also, what is the general opinion about how often do you use the device. Every day? Every week? Every month?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Thanks Steve,

Here’s my thoughts on uric acid meters, off-the-cuff.

First, consider reasons for uric acid tests. Initially, they are diagnostic. Is the result over 5mg/dL? Then, gout is the most likely diagnosis, so start treatment.

Uric acid lowering treatment always works best when you have a plan. It does not need to be elaborate, but it needs to cover:
    1. Long term target – less than 5mg/dL, unless there are confounding factors.
    2. Short term target – doctors are never trained in this. So, only the ones who can think for themselves give valid responses. It’s OK to consider this each time you have a uric acid test. But, the key point is that there is a period of time when you are getting rid of old uric acid crystals (debulking period). It is the worst-managed medical phenomenon I have ever encountered. The short form of that rant is “For first six months of uric acid lowering, get uric acid level as low as possible”.
    3. Pain control during the debulking period.

So, now we have a setting where uric acid tests are needed to monitor and adjust the treatment plan. So, I can answer:

Regarding a blood level monitor: are there any comparison tests out there as to which monitors are more accurate? Also, what is the general opinion about how often do you use the device. Every day? Every week? Every month?

Uric acid test monitor comparison
    To my knowledge, there are no such comparisons. The innards of uric acid test kits are very similar. But, it’s a product, and so it needs product support. Therefore, do research on the company before you buy. Or, give me names of the ones you are considering buying, and I’ll research them for you.

Uric acid test frequency
    The reason I wrote about uric acid lowering plans because testing frequency is governed by the plan. And, my usual advice is: if you are using prescription meds of any kind, leave testing to your doctor. Because, it’s vital to monitor liver and kidney function when you are taking gout medicine. I also believe those tests are vital if you are taking herbal gout medicine.

But, if you are self-treating with lifestyle changes, a uric acid meter can be useful. But, only if you make testing an integral part of your plan.

I wasted a lot of time with daily testing when I used my meter. But, at that time, I didn’t understand gout properly. Like you, Steve, I didn’t understand gout triggers. I cannot conceive of a uric acid treatment plan that would benefit from daily testing. Surely, weekly is the minimum intervention time? However, there is another science principle that says more data makes analysis more reliable. So, you can consider that.

My best advice is:
    Uric acid test every month for the first six months. Then, increase frequency depending on stability of results. Always test at least once per year, for the rest of your life.

But, you need a good uric acid treatment plan for that to make sense. For most gout sufferers, it’s best to leave uric acid testing to your doctor.

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 216.33

@keith, good to know your based in the UK! For some reason I thought you were based in the USA.. 🙂

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

Yes, d_q! More specifically, Yorkshire born and bred. Maybe I cause confusion by affecting USA spelling most of the time. But, that’s out of respect for my American readers, who make up the vast majority of my audience.

With regard to accurate uric acid monitoring at home, there is some significance. Because the uric acid test kit that I am familiar with is UK based UASure. However, they sell and support their kit worldwide. So, as well as first-line support from the global distributors, I can give first-hand experience as well. And, if it’s ever required, it’s easy for me to contact the distributor to resolve any issues.

Kenneth Berger
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 0.48

@keith Have you seen this study?

Analytical Comparison Between Point of Care Uric Acid Testing Meters

It seems to indicate the Benecheck Plus and HumaSens Plus meters are the most accurate. But I can’t seem to find either for sale in the US, hmmmm.

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

I missed that report comparing different home test kits for uric acid.

So, thanks for sharing it, Kenneth. It’s interesting that the uric acid meter they dismissed as too difficult to use, is the only one I’ve tried!

Polymer Chemist
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 4.01
    GoutPal Detective Badge Rank: Detective

Hello everyone,
    I posted elsewhere but I think this might be the best thread. I’m a Ph.D researcher looking to help people with gout monitor their uric acid levels. One of the things that my team is looking at is continuous monitoring of uric acid levels non-invasively (i.e. not a blood test).

I’m looking to get in touch with some of you, through this forum. So, please see my topic: Continuous uric acid monitoring.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by  GoutPal HelpDesk. Reason: Replaced questions with link to relevant topic

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve changed your post to keep discussion of your research in one place. Because, this thread is about buying uric acid meters.

Now, once you have something that people can buy into, I’d welcome your input about how people can get practical value from your research. That might be specific invitations to take part in trials. Or, updates about where your process is available commercially, or medically.

It’s exciting to be involved with your research into new ways to help gout sufferers. But, I don’t want to confuse people who are reading this topic for practical advice on currently available ways to monitor uric acid.

If you agree, there’s no need to reply to this. Otherwise, I’ll be happy to read your views. In the meantime, I’ll add my comments to your main topic: Continuous uric acid monitoring

Daykris

Are the various uric acid meters effective aids for monitoring uric acid levels? I don’t know how sensitive/responsive uric acid levels are–do they change significantly w/in a day? I know that getting dehydrated has caused flare ups–would I be able to catch that w a uric acid meter? I have found using a glucose meter very helpful in monitoring blood sugar levels.

Is there any comparison info available on the different meters? I am in the US–most of the meters seem to come from the UK.

Thank you

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

Generally speaking, uric acid meters are effective. But, a lot depends on your personal reasons for wanting to monitor uric acid. Especially, what you want to achieve from the results. Significantly, I’ve never seen anything to suggest that uric acid meters can predict gout flares. Just like a speedometer won’t accurately predict a road traffic accident.

Most uric acid meters are manufactured in China and Taiwan. The important thing is to find a supplier with good pre-sales and after-sales support. So, I recommend UASure from Arctic Medical. Because they offer good service throughout the world.

In conclusion, there are some situations where uric acid meters are very effective and useful for gout management. But, they depend on your gout history, and how you want to manage your gout in future. So, I recommend you start a new topic. Then, you can explain more about what you hope to achieve.

UASure USA
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1.33

In the USA, you can try https://www.urictest.com/

p p
      Participant
      Ŧallars: Ŧ 3.72

To find accurate Uric Acid Test Machine put
      “Analytical Evaluation of Point of Care Uric Acid Tests” into Google Search and download the pdf. Bencheck & HumaSans are reccommended as the only accurate machines

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

Or you could simply read the posts earlier in this topic where that report is discussed.

Personally I remain unconvinced by that report. Because it ignores the most important aspect of buying any uric acid test kit. That is, you must establish a relationship with the supplier. Because you will need after care.

Also, that report doesn’t explain the specific problem with the UASure model. So I’m baffled. Because it’s easy to use, has proven accuracy, and if you can’t use it you should leave testing to the professionals. As such, I think very few gout sufferers will get much benefit from a home uric acid test.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.