Does Alfalfa work for Gout image

Alfalfa tablets seems to help my gout

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gary Cork
      Participant

Apologies for my first topic above.
      I seem to benefit from taking alfalfa tablets when I have a gout attack along with taking ibuprofen. I have recently had an attack in my knee and started taking ibuprofen which helped but slowly. I then started taking 15 alfalfa tablets 3 times per day and notice a lessening of pain and more flexibility.
      Does anyone else use alfalfa tablets?

Keith Taylor
      Participant

Sorry Gary,

Personally, I know very little about alfalfa tablets for gout. I can’t find any research linking them to control of uric acid. Or control of gout pain.

However, I searched GoutPal for alfalfa, and there are some results. So, perhaps they mean something. But I’m struggling to see any connection between alfalfa tablets and gout.

Does anyone else have experience of alfalfa for gout?

Does Alfalfa work for Gout image

Does Alfalfa work for Your Gout?

d q
      Participant

Hello Gary, as Keith says I can’t find any direct link with uric acid, gout, or pain relief. The only one thing I could link it too was it being a diuretic (https://www.drugs.com/npc/alfalfa.html).

Maybe the increase urine that comes as a result is helping you flush uric acid out slightly quicker which is causing the pain relief.

Keith Taylor
        Participant

But, that page actually says (my bold):

The medicinal uses of alfalfa stem from anecdotal reports that the leaves cause diuresis and are useful in the treatment of kidney, bladder, and prostate disorders.
        […]
        There is no evidence supporting the use of various parts of the alfalfa plant for diuretic, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, or anti-ulcer purposes.

Also, it claims some evidence for positive use against cholesterol. So, I searched further, and found a better referenced article about alfalfa and uric acid:

Alfalfa may increase serum urate and urea levels

Unfortunately, I’m still waiting for my full copy of that article to see in more detail what the specific effects are of alfalfa on uric acid. So, if anyone has access to the report, please let me know. It’s:
        Alfalfa seeds lower low density lipoprotein cholesterol and apolipoprotein B concentrations in patients with type II hyperlipoproteinemia. Atherosclerosis 65(1-2):173-9 · June 1987. Mölgaard J, von Schenck H, Olsson AG.

In any case, it’s always best to test herbal gout medicines by blood test. Because herbal medicines are likely to have different effects based on stage of gout recovery, baseline uric acid levels, and combined effects of other supplements and diet. Therefore, do something like:
        1. Get uric acid test, and record results.
        2. Start taking, or stop taking alfalfa for at least 2 weeks.
        3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until clear results are demonstrated. Or, abandon due to lack of clear connection.

Viewing 2 reply threads

The forum ‘Personal Gout Diary: Gary Cork’ is closed to new topics and replies.