Gout & Cracking toes

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! Gout & Cracking toes

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Eric Bolvin
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 18.23
    GoutPal Historian Badge Rank: Historian

Hi; I find that sometimes cracking my toes will stop a gout attack or slow it down. Whenever I feel an attack I take the Colchicine and then try cracking my toes. My theory is that when you crack a joint the synovial fluid is flushed out of the joint, making the crack. When this happens the flushing synovial fluid takes along some of the crystals with it.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Eric Bolvin.

Eric Bolvin
    Participant

There is a limit on how long my post can be!
    One time I had an attack and instead of a blood test, they drained fluid straight from the toe joint for analysis. This also stopped the pain as they drained off the crystals as well.
    It doesn’t work with a full-on attack because of swelling. I am wondering if anyone has tried ultra-sound during a full attack followed by a chiropractic crack. Might be worth a try if you had access.

Eric Bolvin
    Participant

Part 3
    Hi; I find that sometimes cracking my toes will stop a gout attack or slow it down. Whenever I feel an attack I take the Colchicine and then try cracking my toes. My theory is that when you crack a joint the synovial fluid is flushed out of the joint, making the crack. When this happens the flushing synovial fluid takes along some of the crystals with it.
    One time I had an attack and instead of a blood test, they drained fluid straight from the toe joint for analysis. This also stopped the pain as they drained off the crystals as well.
    It doesn’t work with a full-on attack because of swelling. I am wondering if anyone has tried ultra-sound during a full attack followed by a chiropractic crack. Might be worth a try if you had access.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 870.25
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Firstly, Eric, I’m sorry you are having problems posting. There is no limit on the length of posts or number of posts. So, I must assume there is a problem with the computer you are using. I’m not trying to pass the buck, and I’ll try to help if I can. Maybe you could start a new topic in General Discussion about this? Then you can describe what is happening. Also, you could send me a screenshot so I can see what is happening.

Your theory about cracking your toes is interesting. I found an article about joint cracking at https://www.sciencealert.com/new-study-confirms-what-really-happens-when-you-crack-your-knuckles

It doesn’t support your idea about synovial fluid. But, it does show that extraordinary events happen when joints crack. So that might have an impact on the very complicated gout pain process. Unfortunately, that research also leaves questions unanswered. Especially “more research needs to be done to confirm that no long-term damage is being done”.

I like your idea of trying it during an ultrasound scan. Because ultrasound can be a helpful gout resource. So combining those findings with any changes from cracking the joint would be very interesting.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.