Gout flares more often since getting healthier

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! Gout flares more often since getting healthier

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  d q 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

andrew portas
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 5.79
    GoutPal Detective Badge Rank: Detective

Hi

I hope you can help me with this?

For the last 15 or so years (i’m 53 now) I would get maybe one attack a year, usually right ankle but occasionally left big toe/ball or left wrist. There appears to be some tophi in my right ear, which appeared about a year ago but does look like it’s getting smaller.

Anyway, because all my doctor would ever do was to give me Naproxin(?) which even though I point out is only a bandaid and not a cure I’ve decided to stop drinking booze, increase my water intake, generally eat better/more healthier and do some exercise. Although I was not massively over weight (beer gut!) I have lost weight and I do feel much better for it. This was around three or four months ago. But in the last six weeks I’ve had two attacks. One started as a dull ache in my left hand then moved straight to my left ankle the second, a week or so after, started in my right ankle and has now moved ball of my right foot!

The thing is, I can’t figure why… Is it possible that whilst I’m generally ridding the gout I have to ride the storm of more frequent attacks for a while?

Thanks for your help.
    Andy (UK)

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 216.33
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Andy, I know this might be a vanilla response but the first thing you need to do is get a blood test to check your uric acid results and post them here. Only then can you really ‘begin’ to find out the cause for these pains. How do you know these are even gout pains? You mention tophi, did you diagnose this yourself? Maybe your doctor is giving you naproxen because he doesn’t think you have gout at all? Naproxen is used in more then just gout problems.

After answering those questions can you begin to narrow your pains down to their causes.

Good luck mate.

andrew portas
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. I know it’s gout because I had my blood tested a few years ago and it was positive for gout/high Uric acid.

The doc did offer other meds when I pushed them but she told me my gout would probably get worse before it would get better so as I’m a pro musician I didn’t want to risk that, well at the time… I’ve since learned a little more.

I’ll try and get a blood test sorted ASAP. I need this to end!

Thanks for you help!

andrew portas
    Participant

Oh… I’ve seen pic on here of tophi on the ear and mine looks identical, same position same white lumps… But yes, self diagnosed.

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 216.33
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

No worries mate – your welcome.

Having a positive diagnosis for gout normally means taking action asap. I know you have taken positive measures to avoid certain foods and beverages however by not knowing how much you have actually reduced your uric acid levels (if any) by will only expose you to further short term and long term risks.

Definitely get a baseline blood test done before starting any medications and make sure it includes Kidney and Liver function. You’ll be in a far better position to decide which treatment options are open to you once you have these results. If you are sure tophi is present then it may be that a diet change alone will be out of reach and drugs may well be the only option.
    Anyhow, get those results and we can go from there.

Good luck.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.