Montelukast (Singulair) for Asthma and Gout

Montelukast (Singulair) Asthma Treatment and Gout

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Montelukast (Singulair) Asthma Treatment and Gout

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gout Patient
      Participant

In Can Asthma Relief Provide New Gout Medicine I reviewed science that showed how montelukast (Singulair) is more effective than indomethacin for gout pain control.

Then Dave commented:

I’ve had chronic asthma for years – last year I was prescribed Montelukast in addition to my preventative steroids. Recently I had a first gout attack- far too much beer and meat in Germany. I could stand the pain and even walk a bit until I got to the Doctor at home for colchicine, it quickly went down. A second attack subsided very quickly likewise Age 65 weight 265 lbs. I credit Montelukast from my unscientific experience as a beneficial drug for gout.

Have you ever used the asthma treatment, montelukast? How did it affect your gout?

Keith Taylor
      Participant

There has been another gout-related investigation of Singulair. This time with rats. So still no human trials.

Ibrahim, Mohamed A., Entesar F. Amin, Salwa A. Ibrahim, Walaa Y. Abdelzaher, and Aly M. Abdelrahman. “Montelukast and irbesartan ameliorate metabolic and hepatic disorders in fructose-induced metabolic syndrome in rats.” European journal of pharmacology 724 (2014): 204-210.

Serum levels of uric acid and TNF-ฮฑ were increased significantly in MetS group compared with normal control. Rats treated with montelukast (10 and 20 mg/kg/day) and irbesartan (30 and 45 mg/kg/day), and a combination of montelukast 5 mg/kg/day plus irbesartan 15 mg/kg/day showed significant decrease in serum levels of uric acid and TNF-ฮฑ

Any gout sufferers out there with asthma?

Viewing 1 reply thread

The forum ‘Help My Gout! The Gout Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.