[Support request] New Gout Management Plan

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! Structured Gout Help New Gout Management Plan

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 3 days, 12 hours ago.

• Author

Ayman Roshdy
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -0.67
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

Hi Keith,

Old Post (http://www.gout-pal.com/gout-pal-forum/please-help-my-gout/help-me-please/#post-22169)

This is Ayman. I just read your reply to my (Help me please message – link above) and I really appreciate all the information that you shared with me so far, I probably need your help to identify a gout management plan.

Currently I am almost recovered from my last flare and I was on Colchicine only as I stopped Donifoxate durign this period (wrong move)

Before we start the plan, HYG the answers to the few questions that you asked on this other forum:

Regarding Zyloric it was never prescribed to me as a medication that I should use for long terms but it was prescribed to me as a medication to take during/after flares for some time which I believe was a wrong thing to do based on what I read and heard from you

I don’t know the term “simple mindfulness training” please share the resources

Regarding the food list which contains the purines and uric acid amounts I got it from a website but I failed to remember which one, it is not a reliable source of information anyway

Please let me know if you need specific information so that we start working on the gout management plan?

Thanks
    Ayman

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 870.25
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi Ayman,

Zyloric (allopurinol) and Donifoxate (Ulori/febuxostat) both do the same job. They reduce the level of uric acid in the blood by slowing down the rate our bodies produce it. When this is low enough, old uric acid crystals start to dissolve. When most of your uric acid crystals have dissolved, you never get gout attacks ever again. On cost grounds, and because it has a longer safety record, allopurinol is usually preferred over febuxostat. However, the decision has to be a personal one, taking all factors into account.

We can create a treatment plan around either of these uric acid lowering medicines. The choice is yours. If it’s not obvious which one you want to use, then we can start the plan by comparing them and making a choice.

I’ve copied your Personal Gout Profile from the old gout forum to a new profile forum: Personal Gout Profile: Ayman Roshdy. This is your area to note down all your gout facts. You can also use it to note your personal gout goals. There is no fixed format for your profile – it’s your area to use as you like. You can add as many posts as you wish, and edit posts as facts change.

In the old forum, I mentioned 3 possible topics for gout management plans: uric acid lowering, pain control, and diet.

For each of these plans, we start with the reasons why you want to start the plan, and what you hope to achieve. This is normally a sentence or two such as:
    I want to reduce my uric acid to stop getting gout attacks within six months
    or
    I want to stop getting gout attacks so I can play soccer again

It’s best to make it as personal as possible. That helps inspire you if things get tough. So, Ayman, please start with your personal reasons for starting whichever plan you want to start with. You can start as many plans as you like.

I’ll prepare some notes on mindfullness training. You might need to remind me about this after a week, as my social life is hectic at this time of year.

Ayman Roshdy
    Participant

Hi Keith,

Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply as I was out of my computer for the past few days so I will add now a few things to my profile, let me know if I should add these to some other post as we got 3 different threads now 🙂

Thanks
    Ayman

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

There’s no need to worry about delays. We’ll go forward at your pace.

Your gout profile is a reference area to keep all your personal facts about gout. It’s main purpose is so that when anyone responds to other topics, we can see what is relevant for you. It’s a longterm thread that helps you all the time you are a GoutPal Member.

Remember, you can ask questions any time, and have as many open questions as you like. Simple questions are probably best in the main gout forum. This area is for more complex topics that don’t have a single simple answer. Again, you can have as many as you like. Instead of starting these with a question, you start them with a reason.

This is where I pass it back to you, as it has to be your reason, not mine. I realize this is tricky when you don’t have any other plans here to use as a template. I’ll try to get some general templates done as a guide.

Let’s start with a pain control plan. May I suggest your reason is something like:
    I want to minimize gout pain until my uric acid is fully under control. I'm happy with colchicine, and I want to use it in the most effective way.

I know from experience that this works best if we start with your personal reasons for starting the plan. If you can provide something that is more meaningful to you, then please post it as a reply here. If not, just post a reply saying ‘Let’s start pain control with that reason’

Thanks for your patience, and your support, for this new service.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Ayman, I’ve just had another thought about this.

I’ve been suggesting three separate plans for uric acid, gout pain, and gout diet. I do this because my brain likes to separate ideas into different topics. I have to remember that this is your gout, and we should move forward in the best way for you. If you want to start a single plan to manage your gout, I can certainly do that. The advantage is that it keeps all your tasks in one plan.

It’s entirely up to you, so please let me know what’s best for you.

Ayman Roshdy
    Participant

I believe that I need:
    1) For the long term plan -> Control the Uric Acid level through medication & diet
    2) For the short term plan -> Put a solid plan to reduce the pain when the flares happen or to know what should I do when I anticipate that a flare is about to happen

So if we had these 2 items as a target and accordingly put the needed plans then I would be a happy person knowing that I have the longer term plan to eliminate the problem at some point in the future and that I have a short term plan to deal with it so that I can start having a normal life

P.S. Yesterday night I started to feel this sensation just above my right big toe which usually happens before I am attacked with a flare so I took 1 Colchicine tablet just before going to sleep and this morning I didn’t receive the flare, don’t know if the Colchicine made a difference or not but thought to share with you this which falls under the short term plan that I am looking to have “How to deal with flares when I start feeling that I am receiving one and how to deal with it in case I wasn’t fast enough to stop it”

Thanks
    Ayman

Ayman Roshdy
    Participant

BTW what you wrote in the earlier post is excellent for me as a personal goal, target or reason and it matches what I wrote in my last post

“I want to minimize gout pain until my uric acid is fully under control. I’m happy with colchicine, and I want to use it in the most effective way.”

• This reply was modified 1 year, 11 months ago by  Ayman Roshdy.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

I’ve started the plan for pain control at Pain control during uric acid lowering with colchicine. That is currently waiting @ayman-roshdy input for specific pain control medicines.

With the festive season, I forgot about the febuxostat dosage part of the plan. I’m on with that now. Sorry for the delay.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

I’ve now finished the introduction to Lowering uric acid with febuxostat. The first task is to establish testing and dose of Donifoxate 80mg. Please let me know in that topic, Ayman, how you are placed for resuming Donifoxate 80mg and scheduling blood tests.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Just a quick heads-up [Ayman ( @ayman-roshdy )], as it’s some time since you posted here.

Periodically, I remove inactive users and their posts. So your account is due to be canceled soon. If you want me to retain your info, just post a message letting me know. Then, I’ll keep this active for as long as you like.

Thank you for your support.

The forum ‘Structured Gout Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.