Uric acid blood test

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! Uric acid blood test

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Kurt Uric 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

viji

Uric acid blood test

Can I have gout if I had normal uric levels in the blood but had uric acid crystals in the knee fluid ?

viji via GoutPal’s Gout Support Helpdesk.

Posted from Heat Or Ice For Gout Relief?.

We know from several studies that uric acid crystals develop much more readily at lower temperatures. Like many of my fellow gout sufferers, I have experienced the pain of a gout flare in extremities left uncovered in a cold bedroom. Is it really wise to subject a uric acid laden joint to lower temperatures knowing that this will encourage uric acid crystals to form?
    […]
    If you have gout, avoid applying ice, keep joints warm, and lower uric acid to 5mg/dL (0.30mmol/L) so you can stop worrying about gout pain.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 870.25
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Normal, when applied to blood tests means average. It is a statistic that includes gout sufferers as well as people without gout. Normal has no medical value. I’ve put the important numbers in the colored table in the right-hand sidebar.

You can find a lot more relevant information if you search for normal uric acid levels. Use the search box near the top right of every page. Then, let me know what you think about the results you find.

The big question remains, viji, What is your uric acid number?

Kurt Uric

I have never had a gout attack or kidney stones. My doctor has had me on 300 mg of allopurinol per day apparently as a preventative measure. I have never changed my beer drinking habits which I enjoy on a regular basis. Three times a week 2 to 3 beers each time. My annual blood test results now average 5.0 mg/dl.

Have not experienced any side effects from the allopurinol. However, I just don’t like taking any drugs and would like to eliminate it. I am planning to cut the dosage in half for starters 150mg of allopurinol. I’ve also heard that some people have great success by drinking tart cherry juice to bring their uric acid levels under control.

Anyone out there with similar experience.

Kurt Uric

GoutPal Seeker
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 2.81
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

In Australia the blood tests results are labelled “Urate”.

Is this the same as uric acid?

Patrick
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 110.66

Gavin,

I think Urate is a byproduct of Uric Acid. It isn’t the same thing. Urate is the salt that comes from Uric Acid and forms up in the joints.

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 216.33

Hi Gavin,

A good explanation is here:

Why Not Talk About Urate?

by Keith Taylor himself 🙂

James

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.