Reply To: Hemochromatosis and Secondary Gout

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Hemochromatosis and Secondary Gout Reply To: Hemochromatosis and Secondary Gout

Keith Taylor
Participant

Hey Rod,

Thanks a million for this post.

I’ve been working on a response for a couple of days. Over the years, we’ve had lots of discussions about iron and gout. We’ve seen new research suggest blood donation as a “cure” for excess iron. But, never really looked at causes, beyond trying to reduce iron consumption. I’d never considered the hemochromatosis angle before.

Anyway, I’ve created a place to draw new research and collective experience together. I hope you can add to the knowledge with details of your diagnosis and treatment for hemochromatosis.

We’re always very short of real-world facts. It would be great to see details of relevant blood tests, and there results. What exactly do we test for? What is a safe range? (NOT a statistical normal average!) What are the best treatments?

It could be that your suspicions are right about hemochromatosis among gout sufferers. If that’s true, experience tells me that it will be up to us to do something about it.

To Rod, and everyone else, thank you for any experience and facts about iron related to gout. Please share at Improving Gout & Iron Guidelines.