Reply To: Painful feet! Is it Gouty Arthritis?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Painful feet! Is it Gouty Arthritis? Reply To: Painful feet! Is it Gouty Arthritis?

Keith Taylor
Participant

Hi Irma,

Please don’t worry about the blood tests photo you sent. That’s exactly the right thing to do. It’s very useful to see the actual result. It means I can see exactly what you see.

You’re right about the numbers. You are just below 6.5 mg/dL. I’m guessing the H means High. This is significant. Many doctors will not treat below 7mg/dL (0.40 mmol/L). I find that very odd. The correct target for treatment in most patients is below 5mg/dL (below 0.30mmo/L).

Returning to your meds:
– Premarin (conjugated oestrogen) is associated with reduced uric acid in women.
– Coxflam/Mobic (meloxicam) is associated with slightly reduced uric acid in rats.
– Piascledine – no information relating to uric acid found.
– Paracetamol/acetaminophen – the jury is out! Unlikely to have any effect at normal dose.
– Omega 3 – new research suggests this is excellent for reducing frequency of gout attacks. I’m investigating further.
– Turmeric Curcumin – Again, I’m investigating some new research which adds more evidence to show how curcumin from turmeric helps reduce uric acid.
– Vitamin D – recent research suggests a genetic influence and a link that is “clinically very small”. To be honest, “Potential causal associations between vitamin D and uric acid: Bidirectional mediation analysis” is very difficult for me to understand. I don’t think it’s significant: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4586492/
– Probiotic – too little evidence. 1 study shows insignificant increase in uric acid. Another shows insignificant decrease.
– Vitamin C – Vitamin C lowers uric acid. But note that other studies have failed to find significant benefits in gout patients.
– Co-Enzyme Q10 – little evidence. I only found one study, and that found no link between Co-Enzyme Q10 and uric acid.
Nothing on the other 2.

I’ll talk about meds in your new thread.

Supplements are a very personal topic. As far as uric acid is concerned, many effects depend on the individual. I think the best approach is to have a healthy diet, then use supplements for specific vitamins and minerals where necessary.

I’m particularly forthright on that topic when it comes to alkalizing. It goes against everything I believe healthy to take alkalizing supplements. pH balance should come from natural food and drink. But, that’s just my opinion of course! Alkaline diet is good for gout.