Reply To: Gout and women – where are studies?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout and women – where are studies? Reply To: Gout and women – where are studies?

Keith Taylor
Participant

Betsy, there’s very few bad foods for gout. But most gout sufferers make their diet worse by thinking that avoiding certain foods will avoid gout.

It doesn’t work that way.

Gout attacks are caused by what you ate many months, or years ago. So, fiddling with diet today is like working on the roof when your house has rising damp.

You have to address the fundamental issues that started your gout, in the past. For most gout sufferers, it’s your parents, or grandparents. Most gout is genetic. Where gout is hereditary, bad diet can make it worse. But, good diet does not necessarily make it better. That’s why I can never believe in general purpose gout diets. Because it’s personal.

However, I see many, many questions about food that don’t make sense. So, my thoughts about a standard diet are to help people make a healthy start. Personally, I hate diets. But, I love healthy eating styles. My mantra is EFSEP. Eat Food. Sufficient. Especially Plants.

It’s based on a similar sounding guide to nutrition. I simply want to use it for a base to show gout sufferers how to start eating healthy. So:
Eat Food – means avoiding additives, and factory-processed food-like substances. Additives often raise uric acid. Specifically, nitrites added to bacon and other processed meat raise uric acid.

Sufficient – eat enough to match your activity levels. Gout increases when you are overweight.

Especially Plants – Vegetable purines do not raise uric acid in humans. In fact, since a plant based diet is normally alkalizing, vegetables and fruit are generally good for gout.

That would be my starting point if I ever decided to produce a gout diet. But, I still don’t think one diet is good enough. I think a range is better. Something that considers different types of gout sufferer. We’ve already spoken about gender. Do we need a gout diet for men, and one for women? I definitely think it would be wise to have a weight-loss gout diet, and a weight-maintenance diet.

Now, I’m thinking about other diseases that gout sufferers commonly have. Heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. Perhaps I should start with diabetes.

If you let me know what a good diabetic diet is, with explanations of why it is good, I can probably adapt it to be gout-friendly.

For the reasons I mentioned, I don’t have menus or eating plans. But, I’m happy to help compile menus based on personal needs. I’m also happy to review existing eating plans to assess there gout-friendliness.
I’m definitely not going to use it to give advice to a diabetic. I have no ideas about best nutrition for diabetes. But, I am willing to learn.