Reply To: Mini gout flare whilst on Allopurinol

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Mini gout flare whilst on Allopurinol Reply To: Mini gout flare whilst on Allopurinol

Keith Taylor
Participant

I look forward to your next report, after Wednesday, Dave.

As the timeline is a little vague, I can’t fully explain the small rise in your uric acid level. The most likely explanation is that levels can drop during an attack. This is because uric acid that would have raised your result, in dissolved state, has changed to gout-inducing crystals. Speculation.

I’m hoping your doctor says something like “increase allopurinol to 300mg per day. Arrange another blood test in 2 weeks. Take the naproxen, if you need it, at the first sign of a gout attack.”

It’s good to know your inflammation is not too severe. I hope you are one of the lucky ones who has a relatively pain-free recovery period.

Going back to your original post, I think you are managing this very well. The important thing is to talk about anything you are worried about as it happens. That’s what I’m here for. There’s every reason, Dave, to think that you’ll be completely gout-free in a few months. Then, you can stop worrying about diet. But, always eat healthy.

So, now I’m happy that you are getting uric acid under control, I’ll return to the start: “no alcohol, very little meat, no seafood and lots of fruit/vegetables. And about 3-4 litres of water per day!”

Alcohol is up to you.

Little meat is good. My mottoes are:
1. Meat as a treat (e.g. Mediterranean style eating).
2. Meat as a flavouring (I’m looking into it).
3. EFSEP – Eat Food. Sufficient. Especially Plants.

Seafood is just a form of meat to me.

Lots of fruit/vegetables – brilliant for gout. Variety is good.

3-4 litres is up to you. The best advice is to disregard specific amounts. You need sufficient fluid to ensure urine is pale-straw coloured. Completely clear is an indication of over-hydration. All fluid counts, even the water content of food.