Reply To: Gout Triggers: What Triggers my Gout Attacks?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout Triggers: What Triggers my Gout Attacks? Reply To: Gout Triggers: What Triggers my Gout Attacks?

Patrick
Participant

Lowell,

I’m not Keith, but I’ll tell you what happened with me. Like you, I had a major Gout flare before I was finally given Allopurinol 100mg to start. I took this for 3 months and was already eating right, long before I started on the medication. After 3 months of 100mg Allopurinol, I went back for my 3 month blood work evaluation and found that my Uric Acid went from 7.8 to 7.6. I thought, “are you kidding me? I have been doing everything right and my Uric Acid only went down 0.2? That’s BS.”

So don’t be discouraged. It’s only been 8 weeks on the medication, and you may find out that 100mg hasn’t really done much for you. You may need a higher dose. I know you are concerned about the side effects. That’s a legitimate concern. But for me, the pain of major Gout flare ups was more of an issue than the side effects. With my line of work, I can’t be having Gout attacks. Especially the ones that keep you down for days or weeks.

With your Uric Acid hovering around 5.0, that doesn’t sound very high, but Uric Acid flucuates. That’s why in the early fazes, blood work should be done almost monthly to gauge where you are.

As for particular triggers, you diet seems fine. It might not even have to do with “triggers” in particular. It might just be that you are predisposed to the condition and it’s going to take time for the medication to be adjusted and for it to start to take hold. Be patient and keep doing what you are doing.

Also hydrate and exercise as much as possible. That helps also.