Reply To: Has anyone been wrong about their gout?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Has anyone been wrong about their gout? Reply To: Has anyone been wrong about their gout?

Keith Taylor
Participant

Uric Acid Diet
I find ‘careful’ is usually better than ‘strict’ when it comes to uric acid diet. Start with EFSEP (Eat Food. Sufficient. Especially Plants), then tweak. From your post #2044, you seem to tick the ‘Eat Food’ box. That means, you appear to eat real food, and avoid processed food-like substances. I’m with you on that. Just today, I vowed to stop buying any foods that contain ingredients I wouldn’t eat by themselves. Despite my urging people to ‘read the label’ I’ve been getting lazy. I thought I was good switching from an animal burger to a plant burger. Until I read the label, and saw: “Calcium carbonate, added iron, niacin, thiamin, annatto coloring, glucose-fructose syrup, modified maize starch, diphosphates, sodium carbonates”. 😮 I’ll be making my own veggie burgers, in future.

As for the other 3 boxes:
*- Sufficient – My bathroom scales tell me, I’m failing that, but improving. I’m now trying to cut down on too much bread & pasta.

*- Especially Plants – For me, that’s fish about 5 days a week, and meat about once a week. Or, at least that’s my target! 😉

*- Tweak – This is well overdue for me. I’ve been trying to focus on EFSEP. But now is my time to look more closely at specific food improvements. I haven’t made my gazpacho soup for gout in a long time. I think I need to create a winter version of that, now. Also, I’m thinking about researching quercetin. So, look out for a red onion soup recipe.

You’ve got me thinking there, Andrew. 2 soups is too strict! I’m going to aim for a different plant-based soup for each day of the month. I just need to find a better way to enjoy soup. That is, without 2 slices of thickly buttered bread!

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)
It’s a shame about the RA, Andrew. I think lots of gout sufferers also get rheumatoid arthritis. I don’t think there’s a causal connection. There are likely management connections regarding anti-inflammatory pain relief, and low-inflammation diet. But, on balance, I’d say it’s best to get uric acid under control, then that part of the inflammation problem is solved (in at least six months).

Moving Gout
Anyone who thinks gout doesn’t move around is ignorant. Best to send them here for some training and enlightenment.