Reply To: Gout Triggers: What Triggers my Gout Attacks?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout Triggers: What Triggers my Gout Attacks? Reply To: Gout Triggers: What Triggers my Gout Attacks?

Keith Taylor
Participant

The 6.8 crystallization point for uric acid is a lab value at standard human body temperature. But, as well as temperature, there are many other factors that affect crystallization. Anything over 5mg/dL is generally considered bad. But, if you are exposed to prolonged cold, even that could be too high. Just part of the reason why gout management has to be personal. We are all unique!

The shape of uric aid crystals is completely irrelevant (unless you are trying to identify them under a powerful microscope). Gout pain is an immune system reaction. White blood cells exhibit some extremely “clever” properties. But, shape recognition isn’t one of them. They will react to invading foreign bodies irrespective of shape. Volume of crystals is significant. But, most significant is personal status of your immune system. Sometimes you just get a bit of itchy discomfort during a gout attack. Sometimes, you get a slight fever. Sometimes, it’s full-blown agony. Just another part of the reason why gout management has to be personal. We are all unique!

Am I repeating myself? Time for bed!