Reply To: Gout Drugs & tinnitus

Keith Taylor
Participant

Bloody hell, Paul! How has your doctor let you get in this mess? 🙁

I’m sure we can find a way out of it, but I need more information from you. I also need to explain some facts about gout. Because, reading between the lines of some of your statements, I think you’ve been misled. That’s not too important for now. 2 things are vital:

Gout Pain Control
As you’ve fallen foul of the naproxen/tinnitus problem, we need to find a way to get your pain under control. Giving up exercise is a bad thing, though sometimes with gout, we need to slow it down to a gentler pace. So, we need to find a tinnitus-free alternative to naproxen that will allow you to get back to your cycling. Have you discussed alternatives to naproxen with your doctor? You mention gout drugs as if you’ve tried more than one.

Can you give details of all the drugs that you’ve tried, together with dose. I hope I can suggest some alternatives, if your doctor can’t.

This needs to be a short term solution. As you’ve experienced – long term pain relief for gout causes more problems than it solves. I put pain control first. But, most important is…

Uric Acid Control
You need to get your uric acid safe. Then, the need for pain control goes away. It’s usually very easy to do this. The starting point is always your uric acid level. Get a blood test and post your uric acid test result here. Please be sure to include all the test result details. Including, date (at least month and year), scale used (mg/dL, mmol/L, or μmol/L), and the number. I recommend getting a 24-hour urine test for uric acid excretion rate. It’s not essential, but it does help you make the best choice of uric acid lowering treatment.

Paul, it’s a shame that you’ve had to endure this needless suffering. And, a greater shame that it will get worse unless we act now. Let’s work together to get your gout under control, for good.