Reply To: Do Colcrys and allopurinol let me eat meat again?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Do Colcrys and allopurinol let me eat meat again? Reply To: Do Colcrys and allopurinol let me eat meat again?

Patrick
Participant

Bob,

The answer is yes. You are 60 years old, and you’ve probably had Gout for more years than you think. I hazard a guess that it has been more than 20 years, but you only “started” getting flare ups a few years ago because your Uric Acid hit the threshhold.

As Keith and others will tell you, undoing over 20 years of Uric Acid build up, even with 400mgs of Allopurinol is going to take time. And by time, I mean years. Keith has the formula, but it’s going to take awhile. I’m 48 years old, and up until 5 years ago, my Uric Acid was above 8.6. I just had my 3 month blood work done last week and I’m down to 4.6, so the last 3 blood tests have been—4.8, 4.7, and 4.6. But guess what? I still occasionally get a flare up. I manage it just like you do. Hit it with Allopurinol, Colchicine, and a Prednisone pack and within a day it’s gone.

I eat beef occasionally. I drink a few beers, occasionally. I eat fish and shrimp, occasionally. See what I’m saying? Manage your Uric Acid the right way like you are doing, brother. Keep it below 5, like your doing. Treat yourself occasionally, but be vigilant. It’s going to take a long while to lose all Uric Acid and years of damage. But it sounds like you are on the right track, buddy.

Also, go out and exercise if possible and get your blood tested quarterly.