Reply To: Lingering pain & weakness 6 weeks after gout flare

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Lingering pain & weakness 6 weeks after gout flare Reply To: Lingering pain & weakness 6 weeks after gout flare

GoutPal Seeker
Participant

Thanks for the reply. I’m definitely not interested in ignoring my high uric acid any longer. The earlier attack in my toe was more acutely painful but this knee attack was far more debilitating. I’d like to do what I can to reduce the risk of having it come back, and also to get my knee as close to 100% again as possible.

Everything I’ve read about treatment to lower Uric acid says that you shouldn’t start while in a flare. Is the lingering pain and weakness considered still an active flare or would it be safe to start treatment now? What have you seen to be effective in dealing with the pain and stiffness while working on lowering Uric acid levels? I’d of course talk about these with my doctor prior to starting treatment but I like to be an informed consumer of health care and would like to have some options already in mind when I meet with him.

I’m in the US if that makes a difference in the available treatment options.