Reply To: What is going on with the price of Colchicine?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum What is going on with the price of Colchicine? Reply To: What is going on with the price of Colchicine?

Patrick
Participant

The FDA gave what is now Takeda a license for monopoly supply of colchicine, branded as Colcrys.

Guys, thanks for the responses. I guess my post was more of a rant instead of a question, but I truly appreciate the answers.

Stephen, I can’t move to Canada, so I suppose that solution is out of the question. But it’s crazy to know that our neighbors to the north pay so little for the exact same medication.

The quote I highlighted Keith is the root of the problem. When drug companies have a monopoly on the market, just like anything, they can do as they please. I need to look no further than the absolute ROBBERY that Mylan (drug co. theat produces Epi-pen) did to the public here in the U.S. with the Epi-Pen. 600% increase in cost in 3 years is criminal.

A $50 co-pay is not going to kill me, but it’s awful that an insurance company has to pay out that ridiculous cost. I will look into a generic equivilant, but until then, beware U.S. consumers.