Reply To: Getting started with Gout Control

Keith Taylor
Participant

Hi Johnson, I moved your first post into your forum. I hope that helps you keep all your important gout facts in one place.

On your juice fast question, there’s no real relevance to uric acid. Uric acid control is a longterm program. 30 days is neither here nor there. And, it’s also not relevant if it goes up or down. Only the exact numbers are relevant. I doubt it will make significant change. And, I don’t want to confuse matters by listing a bunch of “what ifs”.

If you’ve got some accurate uric acid test result data, I can explain things better. If you haven’t, then it’s time to start!

Never stop taking allopurinol without good reason. Getting a baseline might be good reason. That’s what a good rheumatologist will do. But, you need 2 weeks off allopurinol before the blood test for uric acid is accurate. And, I would get a lab test, rather than rely on a home test kit (unless you’ve already done this to assess the consistency of your home testing procedure).

That might well raise more questions than answers. If so, ask the questions. If you can get into the habit of asking gout questions, you will overcome your doubts about sticking with it. If you can’t think of your own questions, join in with other topics.

I want 2017 to be the last year you ever need worry about gout. I can’t force you to keep posting here. But, I can promise you that, if you do, you will control your gout. And if, in the process, I can gently nudge you from fad diets to healthy eating, I’ll be a very happy man. 🙂