Reply To: Getting started with Gout Control

Keith Taylor
Participant

That’s a fantastic way to look at your diet. In itself, it might not be an effective gout diet. But, if it prepares you to make better food choices for the rest of the year, it is very valuable. And, it’s unlikely to do any harm.

Most importantly, there may be aspects of your 30-day diet that you can incorporate into the rest of the year. I’d need to know more about it. Best to focus on parts of the diet that you enjoy most. Think about your favorite fruity flavors. Then, we can look for gout-friendly recipes that incorporate those flavors. I believe gout diets only work when you enjoy them.

If your elbow isn’t bothering you, it’s best to leave it alone. It happens when uric acid crystals inflame the bursa in your elbow (medically called olecranon bursitis). In most cases,it resolves naturally. You can encourage the natural healing process with rest. There is a chance that it is unrelated to gout. It’s commonly called “Student’s Elbow” caused by pressure on the elbows from extended studying. I’ve only had it once, and I’m fairy certain it was caused by uric acid crystals. But, that’s not a scientific diagnosis. The only way to be certain, is to get fluid analyzed by a competent rheumatologist. You should consider that, if it gets painful, or lasts beyond 2 weeks.

Compression probably helps. Ice might reduce pain. But, as you have no pain, what’s the point? I have my own theories about avoiding low temperatures near gouty joints. But, there’s no medical consensus, so you have to make up your own mind.