Reply To: I’m desperate non stop gout attacks

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum I’m desperate non stop gout attacks Reply To: I’m desperate non stop gout attacks

Gout Patient
Participant

I have had gout for over 30 years and consider myself to be an expert on the subject. I was doing research on the long term effects of taking allopurinol when I came upon your discussion. I am simply offering up advice to someone that is suffering.
When I speak of relief, I thought I was clear that relief came in the form of lowering my uric acid level to that recommended to people with gout. (5mg/dl) Sorry if I implied it was analgesic, which it clearly is not. Allopurinol is in a class of medications called xanthine oxidase inhibitors. It works by reducing the production of uric acid in the body. High levels of uric acid may cause gout attacks or kidney stones. Allopurinol is used to prevent gout attacks, not to treat them once they occur.
Keith, I dont mean to say you’re naive, but to say that generic drugs are the same as brand is just not right. Please see this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/03/generic-drugs-the-same-but-not/388592/ as well as many others that can be found, that explain exactly why generic drugs are NOT the same.
All I know is that when I started taking the brand (and I am not endorsing or being paid by Walgreens or Sabela), my serum level dropped to 5mg/dl, as recommended by doctors, and gout attacks stopped. Whereas with the generics, it was always borderline high, and I continued to have attacks.