Reply To: Is iron overload linked to high uric acid?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Is iron overload linked to high uric acid? Reply To: Is iron overload linked to high uric acid?

Keith Taylor
Participant

Hi Deanna,

I’ve got lots of facts about gout and iron on my Gout Facts website. The most prominent is Gout and Iron Revisited. As well as that, you can follow links from that page, or use the search box at the top of each page.

You will see plenty of general information. It’s a subject that fascinates me. But, it’s very difficult to suggest general treatments for gout that is caused, or made worse, by excess iron. There are so many variables.

There’s also a lack of specific guidelines about acceptable iron intake. And, blood test results are hard to understand.

Having said all that, I’m very interested in researching more about gout and iron. Like most aspects of gout, it needs individual assessment. And, a personal treatment plan.

As far as I know, the only treatment that has been proved to be effective is blood donation. But, some types of iron overload have other treatments.

Last year, I started Improving Gout & Iron Guidelines. But, there’s not a lot of interest in that. Perhaps you can change that, Deanna.

Tell us more about your experiences with iron and gout. Perhaps it will encourage more people to share their thoughts. Then, we might be able to suggest the best gout treatment for different types of iron overload.