Reply To: Thalassemia, gout, uric acid, and allopurinol

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Thalassemia, gout, uric acid, and allopurinol Reply To: Thalassemia, gout, uric acid, and allopurinol

Patrick
Participant

Man, great dialogue on this thread. It should be a must read for the entire forum. Not much to add, but I will say this DQ (and I’m not nearly the Subject Matter Expert as Keith) but as a “regular Joe” here are a few things I do to protect myself.

First off, I eat sensibly. Animal proteins in moderation with lots of vegetables. I never thought I’d ever be such a “salad guy” but I am. It helps with keeping excess weight off, which in turn helps with your overall health and well being.

Exercise…even it is just a walk with your significant other, or with your dog. Get your heart rate up and keep it up for 30 minutes. Also, hydrate. Limit your sugar intake, which includes Fructose and Sucrose. Drop the Cokes and Energy Drinks and substitute water with lemon or cucumber. Alcohol in moderation.

As for Gout and Gout management, here is what I do. I had been going to get my blood screened every 4 to 6 weeks. Since my labs have been stable, my Rheumotologist has scaled that back to every 12-14 weeks now, but every blood test includes a kidney and liver function test, as well as my Uric Acid screen. I also keep a 6 day Methylprednisone pack on hand. Just in case. I travel a lot, so if I DO get a flare up, I kill it immediately with Methylprednisone, Colchicine and my regular 300mg of Allopurinol. More often than not, it’s gone in 2-4 hours. Again, I only keep the 6 day of Methylprednisone as a precaution. I haven’t needed to use them in over 8 months but one can never be too cautious.

That’s my remedy and it works for me. You may choose other ways. Keep up the great dialogue and good luck.