Reply To: Personal Gout Diary: LManion

Lance
Participant

Spent time going over articles on diet vs meds for UA reduction. Pretty set on beating this without meds until I read Keiths article on Uric Acid Crystals

“The immune system cannot kill uric acid crystals as it would a virus, so white blood cells surround the crystals to form tophaceous deposits. This process stops the inflammatory response, which is why gout pain goes in a few days unless another attack occurs. However, these deposits grow in and around joints and will cause permanent damage to bone, cartilage, and tendons. Uric acid lowering is crucial to stop this process, and to dissolve existing deposits.”

This led me to read several other GP articles on UA lowering meds and recovery pain and it appears to me that success is more about guaranteeing a happy and healthy future over the satisfaction of saying that I did it without meds.

Key takeaway today: UA reduction by dieting seems to be an effort measured in years. While I may be lucky enough to avoid symptoms during that time, the science is clear that urate deposits take place above 6 and potentially doing damage to my system. How long will it take to go from 7.7 to 6?
Early use of meds can reduce my UA to safe levels at which point I can consider med reduction and try to beat this on my own.

Keith gave me some info on the DASH diet that looks promising and gives direction on meal plans (makes my wife very happy). Will look to use this plan either way.