Stopping Gout Together › Forums › Help My Gout! The Gout Forum › Uric Acid Crystals Lifecycle – 5 important questions › Reply To: Uric Acid Crystals Lifecycle – 5 important questions
Again, quickly, then I’ll return for more detail if needed.
1) Osmosis! Crystals, coated or otherwise won’t pass through most membranes that stop your entire body falling out of your arse. Apologies! – I’ll look up the right words later.
2) More osmosis. All to do with organic compounds reacting to differential concentration. It’s molecular. Somewhere in the old forum there’s an explanation I gave to an inorganic chemist who refused to believe it could happen. I’ll find it when I return. (try searching for combinations of urate, monosodium, crystals, organic, inorganic, chemistry, hansinnm, zip2play)
3) Inflammation is all about the immune system calling for reinforcements. I’m discussing it ith myself at the moment in http://goutpal.net/forums/topic/free-fatty-acids-ffa-and-gout/#post-2872
4) Temperature is often the main factor. But, there are others. I just can’t think of the main ones now. They cease to matter if you get below 300! (Sorry to harp on, James).
5) Because your rheumatologist is an idiot. I.e. it is simply not true. (maybe search for ‘allopurinol vacation’). [Quick check – yes it’s there! 3rd result – Is allopurinol a lifetime drug?]
Tell me which bits need better explanation.