Reply To: First Gout Attack – Is Colchicine or Naproxen best?

Keith Taylor
Participant

OK John, here is your new gout diary. It’s up to you how you organize it. But, if you need help, just ask. If you want me to respond to any of your topics in your forum, please check the box that says “This is a support topic” near the submit button.

I’ll respond to this topic without it being marked for support.

1. Colchicine slows inflammation getting worse. But, it does nothing for existing inflammation. So, you should have started naproxen earlier. Also, it should be taken at maximum strength as advised by your doctor/pharmacist. OTC dose is only good for mild gout attacks. In worst gout cases, naproxen can be supported by acetaminophen. So, ask your doc/pharmacist about that too. With the right pain control, you should never need time off work with gout.

2. Gentle exercise is good for gout. So, do as much as your pain relief allows. In my experience, walking helps resolve gout pain below the waist much quicker than resting. But, avoid strenuous exercise. Because uric acid crystals weaken tendons, cartilage, etc. Wearing boots is good, as they support the foot and ankle better. But, make sure they are large enough to take your swollen foot. Then wear extra socks for cushioning and comfort.

3. I cannot find any references that mention raised uric acid or gout in respect to amitriptyline. But, you should mention it when you discuss pain control, as there could be interactions there.