Reply To: Joint stiffness with Allopurinol

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Joint stiffness with Allopurinol Reply To: Joint stiffness with Allopurinol

Keith Taylor
Participant

Sandeep, I’m sorry to say this. But, your doctor is a fool. Or, at least, he knows very little about gout. Asparagus is good for gout. Mushrooms are neutral. And small amounts of meat once or twice a month make very little difference.

I vaguely recall saying to you, in another topic, that you need not worry about purines. Just ensure you have a healthy diet. I know that Indian diet is different from Western diet. Which is why I directed you to an Indian nutrition website. I’ve never heard of an eggetarian diet before. But, I understand it is a vegan diet with eggs. If that means you avoid milk and cheese, it could cause gout problems. But, allopurinol will take care of that. So, stop worrying.

When uric acid lowering medicines (febuxostat, allopurinol, or anything else) is prescribed, a sensible doctor will also prescribe pain relief for up to six months. There are thousands of combinations of pain relief suitable for gout pain. I hope you can find a doctor, or pharmacist who can help you with a pain relief package. If not, I’ll try my best to advise you. I explain why you need pain relief in Allopurinol Medication: Why It Hurts To Get Rid Of Gout. But, although I focus on allopurinol, the same thing happens with febuxostat. Because gout recovery can hurt. But, if you keep your uric acid below 5mg/dL, any gout symptoms will get less frequent, and less intense.

In conclusion:
1. Stop worrying about diet. But, if you have specific concerns, please ask me for clarification.
2. Stick with one of your uric acid lowering therapies, and get blood tests every month for 6 months. Post your test results in your personal gout diary. Then, we can make sure you are keeping your uric acid safe.
3. Make sure you have access to good gout pain relief for 6 months. You won’t need it every day. But, it’s good to know it’s there when you need it.

I recently decided to celebrate my 60th birthday in India during February/March 2018. It will be great to combine that with celebrating your Gout Freedom! 🙂