Reply To: Alfalfa tablets seems to help my gout

Keith Taylor
Participant

But, that page actually says (my bold):

The medicinal uses of alfalfa stem from anecdotal reports that the leaves cause diuresis and are useful in the treatment of kidney, bladder, and prostate disorders.
[…]
There is no evidence supporting the use of various parts of the alfalfa plant for diuretic, anti-inflammatory, antidiabetic, or anti-ulcer purposes.

Also, it claims some evidence for positive use against cholesterol. So, I searched further, and found a better referenced article about alfalfa and uric acid:

Alfalfa may increase serum urate and urea levels

Unfortunately, I’m still waiting for my full copy of that article to see in more detail what the specific effects are of alfalfa on uric acid. So, if anyone has access to the report, please let me know. It’s:
Alfalfa seeds lower low density lipoprotein cholesterol and apolipoprotein B concentrations in patients with type II hyperlipoproteinemia. Atherosclerosis 65(1-2):173-9 · June 1987. Mölgaard J, von Schenck H, Olsson AG.

In any case, it’s always best to test herbal gout medicines by blood test. Because herbal medicines are likely to have different effects based on stage of gout recovery, baseline uric acid levels, and combined effects of other supplements and diet. Therefore, do something like:
1. Get uric acid test, and record results.
2. Start taking, or stop taking alfalfa for at least 2 weeks.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 until clear results are demonstrated. Or, abandon due to lack of clear connection.