Reply To: Can I liquefy tophus without damaging skin?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Can I liquefy tophus without damaging skin? Reply To: Can I liquefy tophus without damaging skin?

John Temple
Participant

Thanks Nobody. Well said.

The cost was about $400,000 USD. $65k/mo x 6 months = $390k. Plus, I had to see my doctor and have my UA checked before each visit, which is not included in the cost above, nor are the prescriptions for Allegra and Colcrys which are required during treatment nor are the X-rays, ultrasound, lab work, etc. and follow-up doctor visits with labwork every 4 months.

Not as a form of justification in any sense, but this is the first major medical expense that I have had. I have been paying H&H premiums for over 40 years. The drug manufacturer offers assistance with the cost for uninsured persons and offers $15k co-pay and deductible reimbursement for those with insurance.

Yes, it is outrageously expensive! I was simply trying to let others know that such treatment is available if one has disfiguring tophi and pain and cannot find relief any other way. The tophi were causing bone erosion and had to be dissolved to stop further bone damage.