Reply To: Getting mobile fast during an acute flare.

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Getting mobile fast during an acute flare. Reply To: Getting mobile fast during an acute flare.

nobody
Participant

I’m going to disobey Keith and decline to “leave now”. Sorry.

What I’m seeing here is confusion between different things:
-habitual exercise (that is, when you’re NOT having an acute attack… and I do mean “acute” as opposed to whatever you might have that lasts for months)
-exercise during an attack
-weight-bearing exercise involving a joint affected by an attack

Consensus is, habitual exercise is healthy.
There are conditions other than gout causing more or less constant joint pain or even inflammation and as far as I can tell, the recommendation is to keep exercising if you have that. Sometimes people confuse these conditions with gout but gout is different in that attacks typically stop and give you plenty of time for exercise before the next one starts.

Based on my experience, I do think exercise during attacks helps a bit. BUT. Not any exercise. In particular, you don’t have to be mobile to exercise. And I don’t think it needs to be actual exercise to help.
Being mobile has in my experience been most helpful for joint problems in the hands and arms. Let the painful joint rest and get your heart pumping my moving your legs. Easy.
Typical attacks involving feet are another matter. Staying immobile is fine for a while (I’ve used one of these things designed for people who have foot injuries for instance) and can bring some relief because part of the pain is due to muscular tension but I find remaining immobile for too long doesn’t help.
People find that bathing their foot in hot water helps. Hot showers work too. Even simply sitting before going back to elevating your foor helps a little bit. My working theory is that you need to get blood moving into and out of the affected area during attacks. Exercise obviously does that.

When your feet are OK, the simplest kind of exercise is walking, running and stuff. But if you’re having a acute attack in the foot, that’s a recipe for disaster. Trying to walk on an inflammed foot puts you at risk of debilitating ankle problems in particular. Protecting my foot by using crutches during attacks has consistently led to better outcomes. You can however exercise using weights and such without putting weight on the affected joint.