Reply To: Almost a vegan, how to make it a gout safe diet

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Almost a vegan, how to make it a gout safe diet Reply To: Almost a vegan, how to make it a gout safe diet

Brad Keck
Participant

I have found that greatly reducing meat in the diet has been very helpful. I try now to keep my meat consumption to 6 oz per day or less, and this – along with a daily dose of cherry juice has done a lot for my gout management. I haven’t had an attack in several months, but can still detect swelling/stifness in the big toe now and then.

Prior to reducing the meat content of my diet, I over-blamed beer consumption, which also must be limited, but a pint of craft beer is only a few mg of purines. On any given day, I can have a beer or I can have some meat – but very careful about having both :}

Hydration is incredibly important, as it effects how well one excretes uric acid and the concentration of uric acid in the blood directly.

If you’re nearly vegan now, what do you think is your most problematic food? Mushrooms, artichokes, broccoli and legumes are known to be pretty high in purines, by the way!

Hope this helps, keep posting!