Reply To: Vegetable purines do not increase uric acid in our bodies.

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Vegetable purines do not increase uric acid in our bodies. Reply To: Vegetable purines do not increase uric acid in our bodies.

nobody
Participant

Hi!

The bottom line is: eating meat, fish or seafood is associated with having higher uric acid. Eating vegetables isn’t.

The bit about vegetable purines is a bit confusing.
I guess the article is written that way because the word “vegetable” has been used in many studies in a counter-intuitive way. Keith might disagree with the following but I think you should read “vegetables” as “land plants” or simply “plants”.

Mushrooms aren’t plants. They aren’t necessarily bad but are more likely to have a dangerous purine content than plants. It depends on the type of mushroom. And dried mushrooms naturally contain a lot more purines than fresh ones. I’m aware of at least one study about people getting higher uric acid when they consumed mushroom-based food whereas I can’t recall a study showing elevated uric acid due to the consumption of plant-based food.
Likewise single-cell organisms like spirulina and yeast aren’t plants and can contain dangerous amounts of purines. Some algae might be more like single-celled organisms than plants so I’d exercise caution with dried algae as well.
In the end, it’s all about the amount you eat so anything dried or otherwise concentrated can more easily be abused.

Roots, grains, peas, seeds, nuts and beans typically do not contain a lot of purines in the first place. Potatoes, onions and carrots contain virtually none for instance. Seeds contain more purines since they typically contain little water but you would normally not eat a whole lot of dry seeds anyway seeing that they’re so nutritious.
You are actually more likely to consume dangerous purines by eating certain vegetables such sa broccoli, eggplant, aspargus or spinach than by eating beans and such. But consuming vegetables is generally healthy so purines are certainly not a reason to avoid vegetables.