Reply To: Uric Acid Kidney Stone: Will allopurinol help?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Uric Acid Kidney Stone: Will allopurinol help? Reply To: Uric Acid Kidney Stone: Will allopurinol help?

smurray12

Not sure what the measure was but I’m advised it was high but not alarmingly so.

Yes, I also queried the A+P aspect of the therapy. The chemistry is interesting. My doctor advised that the co-administration of A and P substantially boosts the clearance of oxypurinol and plasma urate concentrations generally decrease significantly. Renal clearance of urate is significantly greater during P and A+P treatment compared to baseline and A alone.

I was advised that a really important part of this treatment is to drink at least 2 litres of water per day to avoid the formation of stones although I was advised by a doctor in the USA last year that increasing fluid intake by drinking more water does not in itself always result in eliminating the production of uric acid stones.

This therapy will continue for two weeks when my uric acid level will be assessed and a further treatment regime determined.

Steve