Reply To: Burst elbow tophi & lanced toe tophus

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Burst elbow tophi & lanced toe tophus Reply To: Burst elbow tophi & lanced toe tophus

Brenda Plumpton

Hi,
I am a 71-year-old female who was diagnosed with gout 3 years ago after starting on diuretics, beta blockers, and ace inhibitors – I had an ICD fitted because of heart arrhythmia.

My blood uric acid level was 705 at its highest. I was intolerant of Febuxostat and struggled with Allopurinol – I am now seeing a Rheumatologist and receiving treatment for tophaceous gout.

There is a tophus on my left foot which “popped” through pressure from the adjoining toes about 2 months ago. This has now popped again during a gout flare up and my toe is very inflamed but less painful after the white exude came out. Is this normal?

I take Colchicine when I have a flare up and have managed to take 200 mg Allopurinol for the past four months during which time my blood uric acid level has dropped to 447.

I also have osteoarthritis in my knees and was told I had polymyalgia rheumatic for which I am taking 5 mg Prednisolone daily (30 mg on diagnosis decreasing to 5mg over the past 4 months). I had never taken any drugs before the ICD implant (apart from Paracetamol when I had a cold or headache) and am having to adjust to quite a rigorous drug intake.

Is there anything else I can do?

Brenda