Reply To: Strawberries, Gout, and Histamines

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Strawberries, Gout, and Histamines Reply To: Strawberries, Gout, and Histamines

Jean Clyne
Participant

Good luck with the allopurinol, as suggested on many places on this site, start with a low dose and gradually increase it to your full recommended dose. It may be helpful to split dose to twice a day, hope you are being given good guidance on this. The interesting thing I found with foods that were reactive for me was that they tended to be things that have high histamine levels. Strawberries, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach are a few that others on here have commented on as being reactive, are ones with high histamine levels. I wonder if there is a connection between gout and high histamine levels, or it might just be that many of these are high in purines as well? I try to eat a well balanced vegetarian diet, with many of the recommended gout friendly foods and now certainly feel 100% better than before. It is hard to change a lifetime of eating habits.