Reply To: Does Gout effect entire joints for some? Diet Suggestions

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Does Gout effect entire joints for some? Diet Suggestions Reply To: Does Gout effect entire joints for some? Diet Suggestions

nobody
Participant

Hi!

If your elbows (or any other place) are starting to get a bulge, it should be possible to make sure what is causing the problem by examining the bulge.
If it’s gout, it sounds pretty severe. Gout is typically worst on the toe joints and the rheumatologist I’ve seen doesn’t think gout would normally affect shoulders (as opposed to the joints on the arms and legs). But if gout’s bad enough, I guess it could affect anything. What do your uric acid blood tests look like?
If you’ve only started getting pain all over after starting allopurinol however, that’s a things that’s known to happen. It seems people have caught the phenomenon with medical imagery so it may not be all in our heads.

The main thing with allopurinol isn’t to tweak your diet but to make sure you are getting an adequate dose. That takes blood tests (and possibly some arguing with your doctor if they’re not proactive enough).
You can follow mainstream diet recommendations for gout sufferers like not eating animal flesh but allopurinol makes diet less important anyway. The main things you want to do once you have started allopurinol in my opinion are: drinking lots of water, abstaining from alcohol or anyhing else that could cause dehydratation and consuming milk or yogurt (assuming that is a reasonably healthy option for you).

If you aren’t doing OK in spite of the colchicine, there are other things you could potentially take in combination with allopurinol. If you’ve just started colchicine though, give it a few days.