Reply To: Diclofenac, allopurinol and colchicine safe to take together?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Diclofenac, allopurinol and colchicine safe to take together? Reply To: Diclofenac, allopurinol and colchicine safe to take together?

Keith Taylor
Keymaster

Good to hear the pain has subsided Rebecca 🙂

I agree it is confusing to know how to class colchicine. Because it isn’t an anti-inflammatory in the way we normally think. That is, it blocks (or slows) inflammation spreading. But it doesn’t do anything to reduce existing inflammation.

So, we can wait for pain to subside naturally. Or, take something like diclofenac which reduces inflammation.

I’ve only been to the States once. But one of the joys for me was how the small differences make such an impact in everyday life. My favorite examples were from my traveling companion who refused to accept that he should adapt his ways. So he couldn’t understand the blank looks when asking for the restroom by asking “where is the toilet?” But the best bit was in a store when he couldn’t work out the ground floor!

I guess things like that are less funny when you are limping around with gout pain. So gouty travelers should always be prepared with sufficient meds of the right kinds. That is:
1) Enough allopurinol, Uloric, or other uric acid treatment to last for the planned duration plus contingency for delays and losses.
2) The right combination (as advised by doctor/pharmacist) of inflammation blocking (colchicine), inflammation reducing (ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen or other NSAIDs), and residual pain blocking (paracetamol/acetaminophen).