Reply To: Just Started Allopurinol, Unclear on Follow-Ups

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Just Started Allopurinol, Unclear on Follow-Ups Reply To: Just Started Allopurinol, Unclear on Follow-Ups

Fire Titan
Participant

Hi Unabashed

My concern are the side effects of the medication , I am not unclear on the mechanism of how gout propagates.
My concern is that besides lifelong medicine there seems to be no alternate cure which really kills me as I have not ever had to take constant medication.
For some people there have been no side effects which means there is no impact on their quality of life, so they need not worry.
For me , wheezing means I can’t breathe from the Allopurinol and another potential side effect would be tinnitus which I already have and do not want it to progress or worsen.
These side effects could also exist in Febuxostat which I have yet to try and to be honest not to keen on trying it as it will be difficult to get off it as proved by my 1 month stint with Allopurinol.

So my choice bluntly is

Walking or breathing and maybe not hearing (Allopurinol)
Walking or possibly breathing and maybe not hearing (Febuxostat)

Quite a difficult decision to make

So it may have been an easy decision for you as no effect, but for me it has a bit more impact.

I dont think my gout is really chronic 1 bad attack , 42 days later a less severe attack because I stopped the Colchicine and reduced my dosage of Allopurinol and 2 months later I can walk but toe joint still a bit red.

In your case did you try diet and for how long and did it work? or did you go straight on the allopurinol?