Reply To: Allopurinol

nobody
Participant

Generally, taking a large dose of anti-inflammatory drugs when the symptoms start is better than taking a smaller dose over a longer period of time. Certainly I would not recommend taking the same dose irrespective of your symptoms.
But it would depend on the type of attack. Especially if you aren’t taking colchicine and prednisone and your uric acid isn’t low enough, you can get attacks which seem to last forever. With that self-sustaining type of attack, you would need to keep taking anti-inflammatory drugs several times per day (unless you have extended-release pills in which case one pill per day might suffice). With the more typical attack type, you should be able to stop taking anti-inflammatories or at least take a lot less pretty quickly. You’ll have to experiment and get a feel for this.
I’m a bit vague about on the exact number of tablets since I don’t know how much of the stuff is in each of yours. And I assume your size would also affect how effective a given dose is.
Different people’s gouty episodes work differently anyway (and you should feel your own typical attacks slowly changing if allopurinol is working).

I’m not too worried about you taking indo for a month. My concern is that your doctor is too optimistic and that you might find you are still getting frequent attacks at the end of the month while the anti-inflammatory is slowly becoming less effective and new side-effects become apparent.
There are individual variations which are poorly understood to say the least so maybe your bad patch will be over soon but I think you should also have a plan for a less favorable outcome.

A diet might be “very healthy” for most people without being the best for your cholesterol, precisely because the way your body works is a bit odd. I can’t speak for what’s going on in your body obviously but generally, cholesterol is one of the things which react the most dramatically to non-conventional diets.