Reply To: 3 Weeks Now

Keith Taylor
Keymaster

Aw Jerry! You have my sympathies mate. Cos I remember what it was like in my early years with gout…
– No clue about my uric acid levels.
– No understanding of how it’s impossible to manage gout without knowing my uric acid number.
– Confused about how food affects gout.
– Confused about how water affects gout.

Eventually, I got a plan with my doctor to control my uric acid. Then with a few ups and downs, I got myself completely free from gout pain. But I’ve still got the scars. So I wish I’d started uric acid treatment sooner (that’s real measured treatment.)

But my best advice right now is to get together with your doctor/pharmacist for proper pain control.

Depending on the severity of your attack, you need up to 3 treatments in combination:
1. Colchicine to stop inflammation getting worse. But it has no immediate pain relief. So…
2. NSAIDs such as ibuprofen. But talk to your doc about a prescription for gout strength doses of anti-inflammatories. Because gout laughs in the face of anything less than maximum strength. And in the worst cases, the inflammation is too bad to resolve in a short time. So…
3. Compatible pain-killer such as acetaminophen (paracetamol).

Jerry, please take some time to talk about the right pain relief package with your doctor and/or pharmacist. Because you need to be confident that what you are taking is safe and effective. “Chugging ACV and lots of ibuprofen” is not safe in my opinion. So you must get professional advice. As well as regular posting here to learn what to ask and what the doctors advice means in real life.

Then, once you are confident about gout pain control you can start to tackle the dangerous beast that is excess uric acid. Hopefully, before it cripples you permanently. Or worse!