Natural or Medical Alternatives to Allopurinol

Any natural alternative to allopurinol?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Any natural alternative to allopurinol?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  urankjj . 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author

rudy avila
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -1.43
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

I have experienced an extreme rash and severe itching on both feet after starting stopping and re-introducing allopurinol treatment. My doctor has advised me to take an antihistamine along with the allopurinol to avoid the rash and itching but I beg to differ here. Alternative medications such as febuxostat, probenecid and Uloric are not available in Belize where I live. I would like (following my experience with allopurinol) to experiment with natural herbal alternatives. Please help. My uric acid level is 7.6!!

Natural or Medical Alternatives to Allopurinol

Which is your preferred allopurinol alternative?

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 470.84
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

I would be surprised if you couldn’t get a pharmaceutical alternative to allopurinol in a neighboring country if not in Belize.
    Teijin (The Japanese company which developped febuxostat) claims it is available in Belize. But Belize being such a small country, they could of course have their facts wrong. Maybe you could contact them. I did have a quick look on the web and found pharamcies claiming to stock a Latin American brand of febuxostat in Guatemala. Did you look for Latin American brands as well as Uloric (the gringo brand)?
    As to probenecid, it’s only one of a type of drug called uricosuric. You could look for others (keeping in mind that in Central America drugs might be sold under a variety of brand names). I should however warn you that this class of drug is not appropriate in every case and is usually not as effective as allopurinol and febuxostat.

I don’t know about herbal medicines but there are dietary choices which are correlated with lower uric acid. With your uric acid at 7.6, it would likely be difficult and very slow to get good results that way but it’s not totally hopeless. Certainly it would be better than doing nothing.
    Do tell if you want more information about that but I have to stress that febuxostat works much better.

urankjj .
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 28.34
    GoutPal Researcher Badge Rank: Researcher

As far as an herbal alternative, I would highly recommend Malic acid,(Apple acid) supplements. Combined with Apple cider vinegar,(ACV) supplements, daily, to relieve and possibly eliminate gout pain and flare-ups. The research for that may not be out there, but the success stories are there if you look. Good Luck to you….

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 340.34

@urankji – I was wondering if you actually tried Malic Acid and if your uric acid levels really dropped, if so how much by? I’m thinking of giving it a try but wanted to know if you had an idea of how the actual mechanism works? Thanks

urankjj .
    Participant

@d q . I started taking one sometimes two 600 mg capsules of L-malic acid a day since March 2017, along with apple cider vinegar and celery seed extract caps. Only had uric acid checked once since then, late July-17, and it actually went up, from 6.9 to 7.6. No doubt quite high. I can’t explain that but it was suggested that it could be related to the ongoing break down of uric acid crystals still in the blood? I have been basically symptom free with no flare ups or gout attacks since then, March 2017. Is that supplement related ? I don’t know for sure. I am just trying to stay away from prescribed meds for as long as possible. There doesn’t seem to be much research out there on malic acid for treatment of gout but there is some. Here is one informative site on malic acid itself. Good luck…. https://thedailyhealth.co.uk/malic-acid-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-00974/

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 340.34

Thanks – I will have a read.

How often did you get flare ups prior to starting home therapies?

urankjj .
    Participant

I was getting flare ups about every 4-6 weeks regularly, with some of them leading to full blown attacks where I would have to miss work for a week. Usually in one of my feet, sometimes on top of the foot? Also in my finger joints, the last joint below the fingernail. Always very painful as you may know. Hope this helps.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.