Confused

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  d q 1 year ago.

• Author

Ken S
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -0.43
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

I have had one uric acid test that was 7. I have had gout in my big toe and ankle maybe 10 times in past ten years. Normally red swollen and last 5-14 days. I have only treated it with Advil. The last year I have had what seem like gout in my ankle or toe. Tender and painful but never gets to the swollen red stage it use to. Seems to come on slower over a day or two. My big toe over the last couple yrars has gotten stiff and fors not bend like other big toe. I have had it in either feet at times by mostly right foot. I am 60 5’6″ 160 lbs. I do not drink and seem to follow a good didt compared to modt people I know. Is gout more harmful to the body then the drugs given to stop it?

Ken S
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ -0.43
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

Ksamiams at hotmail dot com

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1123.04
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Untreated gout is fatal Ken (search for fatal gout or bone erosion using the gout search box at the top of the screen). The only time gout drugs are harmful is when they are administered incorrectly.

So, you need to see your doctor about getting your uric acid safe before it kills you. If you post what your doctor recommends, we can give you the value of our collective experience on your treatment plans.

Uric Acid Lowering Treatment should be straightforward in your 60s. But, much harder to cope with in your 70s. So, it’s time to act now. Also, don’t get too hung up on your diet. Because most gout is hereditary.

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 467.45

Something else to consider: are the meds which prevent gout worse than Advil? The answer depends on the person but the longer you use Advil, the more dangerous it becomes.

With uric acid in the blood measured at 7, it’s not a given diet couldn’t solve the problem. Hereditary gout or not, diet still helps. But drugs help more.

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 335.61

Agreed with both the above comments but I would like to emphasise that yes, some of the drugs for uric acid control can be harmful. It depends entirely how your body reacts to them.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.