Dormant Gout Crystals

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

GoogleUser2
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 3.78
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

I’m in need of some direction (I’m guessing from Keith, but would appreciate any personal stories with similar details).

I am a former gout sufferer. I know that is the envy of all who are currently fighting their personal bout. I had multiple occurrences over a three year period. I apologise for the lack of precision on the details (it was my hope that I could reference my diary to provide sme data, but have had no luck).

I believe my last gout bout was at least two, maybe three years ago – first bout maybe six years ago now. I was prescribed Allopurinol and colchicine for flares. Around two years ago my prescription lapsed and I never refilled.

My question is – I have never made an effort to “purge” UA crystals. There has been no prolonged allopurinol dosing with the express intent to “dramatically” lower my levels. I tend to maintain 5.5-6.5 levels. I am not overly anxious to trigger gout-like symptoms, but if I can be convinced this will be something that will impact my activity down the road – I would consider taking action. I’m 51, fairly to very active – could lose 15-20 lbs.

Let me know if there is additional information that you need to help make my decision. Thanks

Luke

PS. would really value the details in my diary – even if you need to copy and email them to me Keith – I would be most appreciative.

Jean Clyne
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 42.76
    GoutPal Researcher Badge Rank: Researcher

Interesting, you are similar to me, I wonder if you got rid of enough store of ua crystals while on allopurinol to leave you symptom free now? If you made dietary changes since the time of your bouts then maybe now your system is not building up high levels of ua. Here in Canada many docs are no longer testing blood ua levels but needling affected joint to see if there is crystal buildup. I had a friend recently diagnosed in that manner. If you remain symptom free, why would you treat with drugs that have bad side effects for many users. It would be different if you were still having attacks, you would need to deal with it but ” if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it?” If I develop bad gout symptoms again, will go on uloric but right not am able to control with diet. Vegetarian, black cherry, lots of dairy and alkaline , no sugar, lots of walking, warm socks all the time are working. Will it last, don’t know but the side effects from allopurinol were horrible for me, I couldn’t stay on it. I am waiting for rheumatologists appointment, will be interested in that input.

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 422.18
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi Jean!

“If you remain symptom free, why would you treat with drugs that have bad side effects for many users.”

Because, once the symptoms come back, they will probably not go away as soon as you restart allopurinol (or an equivalent). And for many users, the drugs used to treat the symptoms have even worse side effects.
    The costs and risks involved in infrequent but regular blood tests aren’t negligible but are in comparison quite small. If you can pass the blood tests with a careful diet and natural preventatives such as cherries, there will be no need for you to take allopurinol or Uloric.

Jean Clyne
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 42.76
    GoutPal Researcher Badge Rank: Researcher

Thanks, nobody. My doc has now referred me to a rheumatologist which will likely take 9 mos to a year . I will be interested to hear what he/she has to say or recommend. So far 5 mos off allopurinol and symptom free, hope it lasts. Ua levels now at 361 so still within what they consider normal here, for what that is worth!

nobody
    Participant

361 ought to be fine as long as the results are consistently around 360 (or lower) as opposed to randomly switching between 360 and dangerous values.

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 301.65

361 ought to be fine as long as the results are consistently around 360 (or lower) as opposed to randomly switching between 360 and dangerous values.

This is indeed very true. It’s about a range of results and not the individual result (Although the ad hoc tests can be very helpful too). Take it from me.

nobody
    Participant

@Luke:
    Based on your old diary, my guess is that you have a good shot at keeping gout at bay without recourse to allopurinol if that’s what you want. As your doctor said, your uric acid was never very high in the first place. You’ll need to keep monitoring it however and you may need to go back to allopurinol as you get older.
    In the meantime, if your highest test result since your stopped having attacks has indeed been 6.5, while you should be OK you should also be aware you might have a very small safety margin. A diet which lowers uric acid and/or weight loss might turn your borderline test results into reassuring ones.
    If you allow gout symptoms to come back, you may not be able to get rid of them as easily as you could have prevented them.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.