Food frustration

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rebecca Nahid 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 73.83
    GoutPal Enthusiast Badge Rank: Enthusiast

I really am feeling stressed out over food and links to gout. I am vegan so no need for me to worry about meat and fish and I don’t drink. I have read numerous studies that point to vegetable purines not being an issue. However I still worry abd things like soya, beans, lentils and chickpeas are a big source of protein for me but I constantly worry. I am always thinking of what I can’t eat. I eat fresh fruit and majority of vegetables in abundance but the beanscare important for me to get adaquete protein. I used to have an eating disorder and am worrief about heading down that path again. I would love some advice. I even read wholemeal and wholegrain is not good for gout which seems crazy. All these foods I am worried about would be regarded by nutritionists as healthy and certainly approved. I find myself now eating less healthy food that is bland things like chips and this is not good!!

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 467.45
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

You are right: you shouldn’t obsess over food. I apologize if I’ve contributed to that in the other thread.
    The solution is simple: take enough allopurinol and you won’t have to worry about purines any longer. All vegetable protein sources contain purines, not just beans and such. Purines, vegetable or otherwise, is not something you can eliminate completely from your diet. The whole point of allopurinol is to prevent purines from turning into uric acid.

There’s lots of nonsense around you can read about food. There’s no such thing as “good” or “not good” for everyone. Our bodies work differently.
    If you feel well after eating and your blood tests contain no red flags, you have eaten the right foods regardless of what anyone says.

Rebecca Nahid
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 73.83
    GoutPal Enthusiast Badge Rank: Enthusiast

Thank you that has made me feel better, and don’t worry there was nothing wrong in what you said on the other question (which I have replied to) I did visit a nutritionist who said all the foods I eat, so the vegan sources of protein, plus fruit and veg, oats, wholegrains etc are all excellent choices and she said if I avoided them I would die of starvation! There come a point as you say where if we see foods as good and bad we would not eat. Also the whole “this food is naughty/cheating” mentality is what triggered my eating disorder. If I did go onto a really high does of allopurinol I guess the thing that worries me is any side effects as on the 100mg I haven’t noticed any, so would like if possible to get away with staying on that. I have only started taking them at the end of Feb, so not really a long time. To answer your question about my uric acid level in April it was 0.30 mmol/L which the doctor I tihnk meant although in the safe level according to this chart it still wasn’t low enough, she wants it to get under that.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.