Generally used dose

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  d q 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author

d q
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 341.29
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi,

I was having a read through the forums and for obvious reasons different gout sufferers take different Allopurinol dosages. One thing I did notice was aside from the general dosages (x mgs per day) was if us gout patients doses had them divided or if they were once a day.

Is there a general or science backed study on how ones dose should be given to optimise treatment without increasing single daily doses?

For e.g. 100mgs twice a day (morning and evening) rather then 200mgs in the morning. Could better results be achieved by dividing doses?

I understand for safety reasons high single doses may not be safe but I was specifically highlighting splitting lower dosages for possibly better optimisation therefore requiring less overall medication?

Regards,
    James

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1142.19

Is there a general or science backed study on how ones dose should be given to optimise treatment without increasing single daily doses?

Yes there is! And, I thought I’d written about single daily dose allopurinol. But, if I did, I can’t find it. Anyway, back in the 1970s, there were 6 studies. Here’s the abstract from “Single daily dose of allopurinol” by Brewis, as it’s succinct:

Allopurinol was administered to seven patients with gout to compare the effects of three different methods of administration. Allopurinol 100 mg given three times daily. Allopurinol given once daily as three 100 mg tablets. Allopurinol given once daily as a single 300 mg tablet. Allopurinol as a single dose in the morning gave as sustained control of plasma levels as did divided administration.

So, once a day is good for allopurinol. And, that makes perfect sense when you look at how allopurinol works. It’s quickly degraded in our bodies to oxypurinol. And, oxypurinol stays active for several hours.

I looked for newer research, But, I found nothing relevant. However, I found a study from 2011 which is very interesting. Absolutely nothing to do with your question, James. But, apparently, 900mg allopurinol per day is very good for heart health. 🙂 Nice to know!

d q
    Participant

Hi Keith,

That is indeed a very interesting study.

Lots of medications maintain adequate serum levels in the blood via divided doses which is why I thought maybe dividing doses may generally increase efficiency.
    It’s a relief knowing that’s not the case now and a once daily is fine. Saves having to constantly remember two doses 🙂

Do you know where I can get that study of doses of 900mg per day?

Thanks Keith

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1142.19

Ooops. Sorry I got distracted before I published the link.

I’ve added a comment at the bottom of http://www.goutpal.com/2927/have-a-heart-allopurinol-helps-more-than-gout/

The study is at http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/08037051.2010.538977?journalCode=iblo20

d q
    Participant

Perfect.

Thanks Keith 🙂

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.