Gout and sports cannot co-exist

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Gout and sports cannot co-exist

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

Patrick
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 106.86
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

I’m going to preface this by saying I have absolutely no one to blame but myself. I am a huge sports fan, but an especially huge football fan. Not Soccer, or futbol, American Football. My last gout attack was in February and coincidently, it happened very near the Super Bowl. As a matter of fact, I remember the attack starting ON Super Bowl Sunday. This also happened to be the week I started my Allopurinol meds so I kind of thought that was the issue (you know the old crystals stuff).

Well fast forward to last Sunday and we are now 5 weeks into football season and I have fallen into the trap. The complacency trap. The trap where you take your meds, your blood work is all good, you’re doing everything right, exercising and generally kicking butt. The one devil football brings out in me, and I’m sure many Gout sufferers, is that you tend to eat and drink…..how can I say this??? Crappy. I love me some beers, and I love animal protein, along with all the other junk that we tend to eat watching football. In my mind, I know I have to be careful, and my wife reminds me of this all the time. But something about football season….

Last Sunday night/early Monday morning I felt pain in my right ankle. Granted, most of the time my attacks have been in my left ankle, but this one was a new one, and it was in my right ankle. At first, I didn’t think much of it because it was in a different foot. I actually thought I slept on it wrong (sound familiar anyone)? It was not nearly as painful as my other attacks, but it was an attack nonetheless. Thank God my rheumotologist has given me an open prescription for a 6 day Methylprednisone (4 mgs) pack, you know, just in case.

I hit that immediately, along with 0.6 of Colchicine and some Aleve, along with my 300mg of Allopurinol and within 1 day, the pain was gone. I still have 4 more days of Prednisone to go before I finish, but it was a giant wake up call for me.

Moral of the story to all of us who suffer from this….Don’t get too comfortable with Gout. I am really cognizant about my diet, hydration, medication, exercise, everything…but I got sucked into my good blood tests and all the other good things I was doing and let my guard down. Few too many burgers here and there, a little pizza with pepperroni, maybe a few too many beers, etc. Damn you, American Football.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1138.53

Who knows? Patrick, it might have happened anyway.

One thing is for sure, it takes a long time to recover from gout, which is a very serious illness. I’m not sure of your timeline, but you have to be careful during recovery and beyond.

Uric acid lowering usually takes at least six months to remove risks of gout. Often, much longer. Everyone is different. I recall one guy in the old forum who thought he’d said goodbye to gout. Then he got caught out after (from memory) around 18 months.

Only good thing is, you’re good at controlling the pain monster when it strikes. It can only get better, if uric acid is safe.

Stay safe, and enjoy the football 🙂

Patrick
    Participant

This post was more “tongue in cheek” than anything Keith. The flare up caught me off guard, and I just blamed it on football season because my last one happened on Super Bowl Sunday.

Regardless, I was being serious about staying vigilant about eating correctly, taking your medication, staying hydrated, and exercising regularly. I do tend to drop my guard during football weekends, but I am very good Monday through Friday.

Thanks for the support and all the great info, as always.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1138.53

OK Patrick.

Seriously, it’s related to why there’s a gout peak around Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year. And, maybe Ramadan and other times I don’t have the knowledge to write about.

Less seriously. Where’s the best sporty fun? Or just fun.

Patrick
    Participant

Less seriously. Where’s the best sporty fun? Or just fun.

See General Discussion for response….

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.