April 20, 2017 at 1:12 am #3338
During my career as a documenter of all things related to gout, I’ve stumbled across many examples of game-changing gout research. Therefore, I’ve decided to collect these together as Gout Gamechangers.
So, this topic is another example of me documenting my work-in-progress, as I develop it. Because, It’s Your GoutPal, you can influence how I develop this collection. So, did you read something on GoutPal that changed the gout game for you? Then, add your experiences and opinions below.
Currently, I’m working on Start Allopurinol Quickly, But Carefully.
Next are some more topics that spring to mind:
– Uric acid crystals are not sharp. I’d been led to believe that uric acid crystals were like needles pricking at my joints. But, no! Because gout pain is an immune reaction. So, I developed my U-D-R-P explanation of the Gout Pain Pathway.
– Normal does not mean what we think it means in medicine. Normal uric acid means average uric acid. But, average people get gout. These damned statistics do more to harm gout treatment than anything I know. Though, it does rely on the ignorance of the decision maker for gout patients to accept average treatment. Sorry folks, but the very mention of Normal Uric Acid turns on my rant mode.
– Uric acid lowering might trigger gout attacks. Allopurinol Medication: Why It Hurts To Get Rid Of Gout remains one of my favorites to this day.
– Uric acid crystals weaken joints and organs by preventing natural repair. I might never have understood the depth of gout danger without this. Also, it links neatly with UDRP. Because it’s not only immune system white blood cells that die in the fight with uric acid. Baby cells destined for repair also die in the uric acid crystal war.
Man-flu is depleting my ability to recall more. So, I’ll add more to this list on another visit.
April 27, 2017 at 3:03 am #3430
Oops, I forgot the latest Gout Gamechanger: DECT.
It’s fascinating to see this flagged by EULAR as one of the key targets for immediate gout research. So, I’ll be updating my DECT for gout pages very soon.
Also, I’m not sure of the timeline, but another recent Gout Gamechanger is the knowledge that uric acid crystals alone do not trigger gout attacks. The related article that blaming high-purine meals for gout attacks might be a red-herring was definitely a game changer for me.
May 6, 2017 at 8:35 am #3600
Today I realized how important these Gout Gamechangers are. Because, I believe there are key facts that every gout sufferer should know. Furthermore, these are so important that:
1. We can interpret them as rules of managing gout. Because, if we ignore them, we will reduce the speed and quality of gout recovery.
2. I need to consider training courses for understanding each rule.
3. I must highlight them clearly so they are easily accessible to all GoutPal visitors.
Also, I’ve identified 2 more Gout Gamechangers:
– Gout management must be personal on a case-by-case basis. So, the common practice of one-size-fits-all gout treatment plans is dangerously outdated.
– Gout is a killer disease. So, the fact that autopsies are starting to consider gout as a cause of death means enlightened gout mentors will stress the importance of early uric acid control.
So, that makes a total of 9 rules, so far. But, I must resist the temptation to number them. Because, they are all equally important to total gout care. Also, we should never forget the unwritten rule of all lists of rules:
Rules are made to be broken! However, you must realize that they can only be broken when you fully understand the rule. Then, you also understand the circumstances that make the rule important. So, you might identify special circumstances that suggest a better way.
Anyway, I’m going to start the process of highlighting the rules of gout management. Because, I’m working on a new article that summarizes these Gout Gamechangers as important rules. So, if you have any rules that I’ve missed, now is the best time to add them.
Please add your comments about the rules that I’ve already identified. Then think about adding any that I’ve missed.
May 6, 2017 at 6:06 pm #3603
I’m pleased that I just published Do you know 9 Golden Rules of Gout Management?. Because, it converts my gamechangers into something tangible that should benefit all the gout sufferers visiting GoutPal in future. Next, I will go through each rule, and create practical guides for people to learn these essential gout rules.
Along the way, I’ll close this Suggestion, and replace it with an “Improving” page. But, there’s no rush for that. So, please keep posting your thoughts on Gout Rules here.
June 3, 2018 at 7:26 pm #7136Ucatsexas .Participant
Hi, My name is Patti and I had my first gout attack about 2 weeks ago. my doc took blood and my number was 8.something. High, I now know from your website. I’m reading everything to learn. I took the how acidic are you test…one of the ads. It led me to another site that was highly marketing supplements. Just so you know.
Thank you very much for this website as it is highly educational. I knew nothing about gout; thought it was the “rich man’s ailment”, but know better now.
June 5, 2018 at 2:08 pm #7139
“I took the how acidic are you test…one of the ads. It led me to another site that was highly marketing supplements. Just so you know.”
That reminds me of one of my first personal “Gout Gamechangers” that I missed from my list. Because when I first got my gout diagnosis I Googled about gout every day. Then, I checked marketing claims and soon realized that the majority of Internet gout information is bogus. So I started GoutPal as a way to organize my personal gout research. Currently, I’m working to make my gout and uric acid information more accessible to all gout sufferers.
Anyhoo, I see the over-hyped marketing claims for gout products and services as a learning opportunity. So, when you see something dodgy, it’s good to discuss it here. Then, you and I can learn more. But even better, thousands of other gout sufferers read our information. So they learn to avoid these gouty marketing scams.
The forum ‘GoutPal Suggestion Box’ is closed to new topics and replies.