Gout Recomendations

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  nobody 6 months ago.

• Author

Chuck Stewart
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 0.67
    GoutPal Carer Badge Rank: Carer

I am in the 2nd day of my second round of gout. It’s not as painful as the first which occurred about three months ago. I’ve been strictly plant based diet for over ten years with no processed foods, white flour, sugar, soft drinks, alcohol, tobacco, ect., and still get gout. Amazing. After my first event, I decided to cut back on beans, which I was consuming almost daily, and spinach which was also a part of my daily salad. At this time I am still off beans, but consuming a little spinach. I also discontinued my daily Chlorella Powder which I had consumed for years. About a month ago, I started taking the chlorella powder again. Now I’m wondring if chlorella may be my trigger. I found an article that stated that chlorella could cause elevated uric acid levels. Also, about 6 weeks ago, I started using nutritional yeast for the B Vitamins. I found an article that states that the B3 niacin in nutritional yeast can compete with uric acid to be expelled by the kidneys. Anyway, I discontinued the yeast yesterday.

My uric acid test after the first event was 5.9. Two weeks ago I had another test and it was 8.1.

I am taking no medicine except ibuprofen before bedtime, and haven’t seen a Dr. since the first event. I do not want to go the drug route unless I have no alternative.

Would appreciate any advise for the future, especially as it relates to gout and a whole foods plant based eating program.

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 470.84
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

To begin with, you’ll need to get more uric acid tests.
    First to want to a better idea of how bad your uric acid problem is and then you’ll need a way to test whether the therapies you’re trying are effective. Taking a well-tested drug every day would be easier.

Do you want to avoid animal products?
    I ask because you say you’ve been on a strictly plant based diet yet are taking yeast which isn’t a plant. What it has in common with plants is that it isn’t an animal product.
    If you’re avoiding animal products, do you really want to avoid supplements? Because you’re going to have a hard time getting B12 in particular from plants. Even yeast products are typically going to include B12 from supplements rather then from the yeast culture. And eating significant amounts of yeast is going to increase your uric acid.

Also, there are compounds found in some plants which seem to decrease uric acid but trying to get them in the right amounts from whole foods is going to very difficult, not to mention dangerous.
    And while you say you don’t want to go the drug route, you are taking ibuprofen which is one of the most dangerous drugs.

So I think you should rethink your objectives or at least explain them better.

Finally, chlorella could indeed markedly increase your uric acid if you take more than a tiny amount. Eating any single-celled culture is likely to be problem.
    Unfortunately, plants can contain compounds which increase uric acid so you’re going to have to be discriminating if you want to avoid animal products because, while many plants are safe for people with untreated gout the most nutritious ones often aren’t and as a result the most straightforward way to lower uric acid is to replace meat with dairy and eggs rather than plants. Soy would possibly be the best alternative.
    If you were to take a pill every day though, you would probably be able to eat whatever plants you like.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.