Knees and gout

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

Brad Keck
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 5.41
    GoutPal Detective Badge Rank: Detective

Hi All,

I have high serum Uric acid and frequently get gout in the classic big toe joint – I have started experiencing a pain in one knee when I climb stairs. There is no obvious injury otherwise, and I wonder if any one else experiences this from gout.

Your experience much appreciated.

BK

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1123.04
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi Brad,

My short answer is: gout spreads to every joint. Because uric acid travels throughout your body in the blood stream. Then, it starts to form uric acid crystals. Usually, uric acid crystals start in the cooler joints. But, eventually, uric acid crystals damage every joint. Unless you take action to control your uric acid levels.

Finally, uric acid crystals spread beyond joints. Usually, skin is affected first. With lumps, called tophi, appearing under the skin. Then bursting through. But, eventually, uric acid crystals damage all organs except the brain. Leading to kidney disease, heart disease, etc. Joint damage and organ damage continue every day that your excess uric acid goes untreated. Even on days where you have no pain symptoms.

The good news, Brad, is that uric acid is very easy to manage unless you have other health complications. So, see your doctor as soon as you can, and start uric acid lowering treatment.

If you want any clarification of the points I’ve made, please ask. Similarly, ask if you want help getting the right uric acid lowering treatment plan from your doctor. Here’s some scary gout pics to stir you into action…

Gouty Tophi in Larynx

Uric acid lumps in the voicebox: Gouty Tophi in Larynx

Gouty Tophi in Colon

Uric acid lumps in the gut: Gouty Tophi in Colon.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.