Low Uric acid with 300mg allopurinol. Is it Safe?

Stopping Gout Together Forums Help My Gout! The Gout Forum Low Uric acid with 300mg allopurinol. Is it Safe?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 9 months ago.

• Author

Eric Bolvin
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 18.38
    GoutPal Historian Badge Rank: Historian

So I just had my blood test and now my UA level is 3.6 which according to Lab corp and whatever factors they use is LOW. <3.7.
    I take 300mg of Allopurinol.
    Not really worried because it’s so close but I think I was 8.0 before treatment.

Eb

nobody
    Participant
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 470.84
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

The lastest recommendations I’ve seen say it’s OK as long as you test above 3. And even if you test under 3 once, it’s no big deal. So far as I know, there only is cause for concern if your uric acid is super-low for years on end.
    That said, allopurinol is not an innocuous drug and so I think it would be prudent to take as little as you actually need. Have you tried taking 200mg?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1138.53
    GoutPal Scholar Badge Rank: Scholar

Hi Eb, I’m glad you finally got your uric acid safe. But you really should have agreed on a timescale with your doctor for complete recovery from gout.

From a very quick scan of your earlier posts, I can see you’ve got at least 13 years of old uric acid crystals in your body. So, that suggests to me that you should keep current uric acid levels for now. Then review in 6 months. Once you’ve gone 6 months with uric acid below 5mg/dL AND no gout symptoms, you can gradually reduce your dose to ensure uric acid never rises above 5mg/dL.

Please talk this over with your doctor, and discuss your plan here as well if it helps.

You should log in to GoutPal to reply to this topic.

If you do not want to log in, you can post a reply via the orange Gout Help button, or raise a new GoutPal helpdesk ticket.